Making Wood Grain

Decorating By musselmom Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm by deb12g

musselmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musselmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 18

I have a grooms cake due next week-end. I plan to make a bowling ball, and would like to make the base look like the wooden floor at a bowling alley. Any expert advice on this technique?

17 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 18

You can marbelize fondant. You can also paint it with different shades of dilluted gel colors. To give it a really nice polished look, steam it.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:48am
post #3 of 18

I just bought a wood graining tool at Lowes-- its is in the section with the paints and stains.

I am using it to make faux bois- basically wood grain on a chocolate panel.

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 18

I cut fondant into strips the size of slats of wood and laid them out. Then I painted fondant with brown gel color diluted with the tiniest bit of lemon juice.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 18

I just did some marbelized wood grain that my fall pumpkin sat on. Not sure how put a link on here. Its in my photos. I marbelized chocolate fondant & a little bit of a caramel color together. Then I made some indentions in it. I have a wooden baseball bat I did the same way.

musselmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll make slats, marblize the fondant, gel color and steam them. Ill for the sake of art. Now I just have to stress about covering that round bowling ball cake with fondant.
lori

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #7 of 18

I made a hardwood floor look for one of my cake boards. I covered the board in ivory fondant. (You don't have to have the color mixed perfectly.)
Then I used the edge of a metal ruler to mark the "boards" and used a veing tool to make a woodgrain pattern on the boards. I used brown and ivory gel colors mixed with a little everclear and painted the boards. Once that was dry I painted the floor with confectioners glaze to give it a shine.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:35am
post #8 of 18

musselmom, please post your results and any tips for covering that bowling ball. I will be making the exact same thing in a few months - a bowling pin and ball on a "wood" base.

Thanks and good luck!

musselmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:54am
post #9 of 18

I know this is dumb but I don't know how to post my photos - I have lots. I supose I should get one of my kids to help me figure it out.

grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 18

Posting photos is really easy, so don't be intimidated.

First, you need to be able to locate your photos on your computer. If you are not familiar with how to do that, get the kids to help you with that. Instructions would differ for different operating systems so I won't go into all that here.

Second, go to the Galleries tab here on CC, and once there you'll click on an option to UPLOAD PICTURE. It's near the top, in the middle.

Third, choose the appropriate album for a particular photo, then Browse your computer to locate and select the cake photo on your computer. Type in the photo title, description and keywords where indicated, click on all the acknowledgement SELECT buttons, and finally the SUBMIT button.

That's all there is to it.

grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 18

Oh, and if you want us to ooh and aah about your cakes, set your profile settings to allow comments.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 18

I JUST read how Elissa Strauss does this in her book CONFETTI CAKES last night. She takes some tan-clored fondant and white fondant and braids it into a rope. Then she folds it over and rolls out. Mix alcohol or lemon juice with brown food coloring or paste and paint on. Paint darker for a darker shade.

HTH

Paul

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 18

I actually just use a woodgrain impression mat.

It's included in the set below. CK normally gets things shipped out pretty quickly.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=626652

musselmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 18

This place is the best! Thanks for all your help.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:46am
post #15 of 18

How do I achieve woodgrain if I'm only using buttercream and the impression mat?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:11pm
post #16 of 18

I haven't tried to "woodgrain" buttercream, but I would think you should put you cake in the freezer to let the bc become very cold and stiff and then use the impression mat to make the design.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #17 of 18

Is it possible to achieve the woodgrain look by using an airbrush?

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm
post #18 of 18

I''m giving you a bump.......would like to know this, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%