Design And Edible Diamond Questions

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 10:58pm by BakingGirl

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 4

I've got a tiered cake to design around the pattern on this Christening gown. The cake tiers will be cream with white piping. I've never used edible diamonds and have read that many people are disappointed in them because they fade into the cake. Will they show up enough for this design? And not sure if I should freehand the design in Royal Icing or use some sort of patchwork cutter.... Thank you for any insight you may offer!
LL

3 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 4

I have to admit I have never seen edible diamonds as small as the crystals on the dress in the picture. I just ordered some but they were huge by comparison. You may have to use rock sugar to get them small enough. On the instructions that came with the edible diamonds I bought it said to brush them with vegetable oil to increase the luster and shine, so that is perhaps something you can do to avoid them blending in. But if you are using clear diamonds on a white / cream surface they will not stand out a lot, but judging by the picture you attached you don't want it super blingy so it is probably fine.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks BakingGirl! I appreciate the advice on this cake that has me baffled! icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 4

No problem. Post a picture when you are done. I love the Christening gown so I am sure the cake based on it will be stunning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%