Figurine Pricing

Business By Kitagrl Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 4:19am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 17

So tonight I'm grumpy because I was having issues with some figurines for the top of a cupcake tower... and I think I'm grumpy because I know I have been majorly underpricing for these little pains...

For a figurine on top of a baby shower cupcake tier, like "Pink Cake Box" style...what do you guys charge? (Not the cake itself, just the gumpaste figurine on top.)

16 replies
HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 17

How long does it take you to do one? Most of the bakers here will tell you that their worth starts at $20 an hour. Then factor in the ingredients. That should give you a start icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 17

If you take a look at all of the pictures in my profile, there are a lot of figurines. We charge $75 per figure, so the wedding party cake has $675 in figurine work alone, plus the $550 in cake.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 17

Man, snarky, I've gotta' say, you do some beautiful work!

After undercharging for my figures, I'm not shy anymore about charging a lot for them. They take a lot of time.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Man, snarky, I've gotta' say, you do some beautiful work!

After undercharging for my figures, I'm not shy anymore about charging a lot for them. They take a lot of time.

Thanks! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I don't think we charge enough considering the time they take, but we have worked it down to a process that doesn't take a onerous amount of time anymore ( I get lots of help from local art students)

Charging enough money allows you to do better work, because you're making a decent living without trying to jam in every single order, and you can allow yourself enough time to do a good job.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:14am
post #6 of 17

Great point Snarkybaker on the it's much to do one high priced cakes as oppossed to 10 that equal the same amount. And by the way, I LOVE your work! Your figures are CRAZY!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

If you take a look at all of the pictures in my profile, there are a lot of figurines. We charge $75 per figure, so the wedding party cake has $675 in figurine work alone, plus the $550 in cake.

Wow! Your figures are stunning! I can see why you'd charge so much.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks....I charged $30 for one and then she wanted a second one so foolishly gave the second for $15...plus a small bunny rabbit I didn't charge for at all. So last night I'm struggling with the gumpaste (had been using Satin Ice, picked up some Wilton and having trouble with it) and ended up just balling it up and throwing it away and putting it off to today...just seems like lately things haven't been coming together right at all. Oh well!

cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Thanks....I charged $30 for one and then she wanted a second one so foolishly gave the second for $15...plus a small bunny rabbit I didn't charge for at all. So last night I'm struggling with the gumpaste (had been using , picked up some Wilton and having trouble with it) and ended up just balling it up and throwing it away and putting it off to today...just seems like lately things haven't been coming together right at all. Oh well!

Not to change the subject, but I've heard great things (here) about Wilton's gumpaste. Geez, I was planning to try it out today. Now, you have be rethinking that. lol!

Kitagrl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 17

I do like it normally...but I was used to the Satin Ice kind and the Wilton is a bit softer.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 17

Someone on here said they charge $100 for figurines not too long ago.

And Cakesweetiecake - I use the premade Wilton gumpaste and I love it!

cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Someone on here said they charge $100 for figurines not too long ago.

And Cakesweetiecake - I use the premade Wilton gumpaste and I love it!

Ok, thank you! Thanks, Kita!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #13 of 17

We use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe. We think his is the best! But then again, we're in a high-humidity area.

Paul & Peter

preciouspjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciouspjs Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #14 of 17

I make 2d/3d fondant figures.. they're layered 2d... and paint them (you can see them in my pics, tinkerbell, spiderman, bakugan, etc.) I usually only charge like $5 for them.. and someone recently asked me to make a cake with about 10 different figures on them. i'm not sure if I should charge $5 per figure, if they're even worth that, or more.. what do you think?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouspjs

I make 2d/3d fondant figures.. they're layered 2d... and paint them (you can see them in my pics, tinkerbell, spiderman, bakugan, etc.) I usually only charge like $5 for them.. and someone recently asked me to make a cake with about 10 different figures on them. i'm not sure if I should charge $5 per figure, if they're even worth that, or more.. what do you think?

Oh my gosh! You can't sell them for $5! I mean $25 should be the min. I mean if it's a little frog or something, sell it for $5 or less. But something that takes time and detail should really be a lot more than $25.

preciouspjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciouspjs Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouspjs

Oh my gosh! You can't sell them for $5! I mean $25 should be the min. I mean if it's a little frog or something, sell it for $5 or less. But something that takes time and detail should really be a lot more than $25.

OMG icon_surprised.gif really? I really have a hard time pricing things out.. some people say I'm too cheap.. some say its too pricey.. I've only been decorating for about a year, so hopefully pricing will come easier..

Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #17 of 17

Sometimes with animals on the sides of the cakes or something (semi 3D) I just include it with the cost of the cake.... Its so hard to tell exactly how to price things sometimes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%