Giant Cupcake Cake

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm by audreygb

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys, just made my first fondant covered giant cupcake cake. its in my pics and was for my niece so was good practice and it looks ok BUT, it was tricky - i didnt get the nice swirly look on top or the indents very indented and also its was so hard to cover with buttercream and then smooth off - it ended up a little bumpy ...... as i couldnt scrape it down so i ended up using my fingers...

how do you all crumb coat and fondant but still get the indents showing up underneath??

Thanks, Cathy

6 replies
kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Cathy,loved the cupcake.
I just saw Amazing wedding cakes w/Christopher Geurin(sorry sp).They had indentations under the fondant on one of his cakes ..if i remember correctly he did give specific directions to his crew as to how to get the groves to show up nicely. I do remember he said you had to ease the fondant in those hollows or creases right away to prevent tearing. maybe yu could watch for the repeat of that episode as they show them frequently. btw,I'm saving that cute giant cupcake.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 7

I don't work with fondant much yet, but could you shape the fondant against the outside of the pan and then put it on the top of the cupcake?

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 7

Hmmm..i've done one with fondant yet. But i melted candy melts in the pan then dropped the cake inside...i haven't tried covering it with fondant yet..what if u covered it with fondant while it's upside down then just use the ball tool to make the indentations?

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

I've been wanting to try this one cause it looks so cute! Cathy you did a wonderful job on your cupcake! its adorable.. I'd love to know how to cover it too icon_smile.gif

IcingSugar70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingSugar70 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 7

How do i make a zip for a cake bag???? Any tips????

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 7

try a fluted pastry wheel, when you run it along the icicng the indent looks like a zip

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%