What Kind Of Color Can I Use Instead Of Wilton's?

Decorating By Jane16 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 1:43am by Jane16

Jane16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jane16 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 11

Wilton's icing/fondant coloring is manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts and my daughter is allergic to peanuts. What other kinds of icing coloring can I use? This is all new to me, so I apologize if this is a stupid question! LOL

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #2 of 11

There's also Americolor, which you can find online or at a cake decorating supply store or restaurant supply store. They've got more colors and the ones that I've tried have been more vivid, especially the red and black. If you're looking for something you can purchase locally, Lorann makes liquid gel colors too. I haven't tried them but I've seen them at Hobby Lobby and they aren't expensive at all. I keep meaning to buy some to try, but then I go there for something else and then totally forget (mostly from trying to keep my little monkeys hands off all the neat stuff in Hobby Lobby icon_biggrin.gif ).

Also, depending on what other allergies your daughter might have, you can find all-natural food colorings at the health food store, like Whole Foods. I haven't tried any of those yet, they're expensive.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 11

There is an Americolor brand...I don't know if there are peanuts manufactured there, but a lot of people on here including myself use it.

Jane16 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much. I will check into those.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 11

You can try Cake Craft as well. They're pretty good, but I don't know about the peanut thing: //www.cakecraft.net/index.html

Jane16 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 11

I e-mailed Americolor about their allergen info. Here's what they replied:

We dont have any peanut/nut products in our facility. Thank you for your interest in AmeriColor.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 11

Americolor or chef master

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 11

You may also try Crystal Colors. They are powder colors.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 11

Chefmaster is my color of choice.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 11

For what it's worth, I've used Wilton coloring in products I've made for kids that had peanut allergies and they had no reactions.

I didn't even know it was made in a plant that had peanut products till this thread. Good to know!

Jane16 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #11 of 11

Someone who has some older Wilton's colors may want to look at the box to see what it says. It's possible that Wilton's has recently changed where their colors are manufactured and so that now they are exposed to peanuts whereas before they were not. You just never know.

Thanks to all of you that answered!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%