Help! Kind Of Long...

Decorating By ksmith1012 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm by floral1210

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 14

Hello Everyone! This is my first time posting a question here on CC- I've been browsing everyone's posts over the last few months and think that this is a wonderful community. I'm looking forward to getting more involved. Here's my story...

So I'm browsing in Michaels today in the cake decorating aisle- deep in "cakeland" thought, and all of a sudden a stranger comes up and starts asking me about cakes. Long story short- she asked me to do a cake for her for a baby shower THIS saturday! In either my eagerness to have my first client that was not referred, or out of naivety, I said yes. What she wants isnt too complicated- Half sheet cake with buttercream icing. Something "simple and elegant". She gave me the invitation, its one that has all the different pastel baby feet and pearlized dots and stripes. The colors are pastel pink, green and purple. She was adamant about NO FONDANT- so what am i left with to do? You can only do so much with buttercream on a sheet cake.

Now my question... Does anyone have any ideas for this kind of cake? Sheet cakes are not the kind of cakes I prefer to do. How do you make one cute? I would appreciate any feedback referring to ideas for the cake. Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
ksmith1012 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 14

Maybe I should have posted this in Decorating Ideas. I'm sorry, I didnt see that section.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 14

Hi...welcome to the boards. In my humble opinion, also as a newbie, I think that cakery's photos can give you tons of inspiration. They are great ideas, simple to achieve, and just like what you seem to be looking for. I can't tell you how to access those photos easily, except to look for the profile for CAKERY, then click on see all cakery's photos. Maybe someone else can help with the more technical side of this![/img]

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith1012

She was adamant about NO FONDANT- so what am i left with to do? You can only do so much with buttercream on a sheet cake.

Well .... not exactly .... icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's a baby shower cake i did to match the napkin. the bottle, the balls, the carriage are fondant, but they could have easily been done in a BC FBCT. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1255353

Check out the photos of ThanhThanh .... this CC'er is a GODDESS when it comes to the magic she can do on a sheet cake with BC! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ThanhThanh.html

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 14

It sounds like it could be done in buttercream. Maybe accent pieces in fondant?

But my curiosity is getting the best of me. How did you manage an entire business transaction in the aisle of Michael's? icon_confused.gif

floral1210 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 14
ksmith1012 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks floral! Cakery is a total inspiration! I feel much more confident now!

floral1210 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 14

My pleasure!! I am using her inspiration for a birthday cake I am doing for tomorrow. Hopefully, will post a photo, as I hope you will, as well!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 14

WOW I just looked at ThanhThanh sheet cakes I am amazed, I've never liked doing sheet cakes, thought they lacked imagination, boy was I WRONG, her sheet cakes are amazing. I"ll have to go back and look some more.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

WOW I just looked at ThanhThanh sheet cakes I am amazed, I've never liked doing sheet cakes, thought they lacked imagination, boy was I WRONG, her sheet cakes are amazing. I"ll have to go back and look some more.

isn't she amazing? I want to be just like her when I grow up!

ksmith1012 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for helping a girl out!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 14

I'm curious as why you said there's only so much you can do with buttercream?

As far as I can tell, you can do anything with buttercream that you can do with fondant, including eating it!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 14

For anyone who thinks you can't do anything great with a plain 'ol sheet cake...must check out CC member: ThanhThanh gallery. I can't recommend her enough for sheet cake inspiration. She does everything freehand and it's absultely breathtaking and inspiring. Please take a moment to check it out!

floral1210 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 14

Thanh Thanh's work is amazing. I doubt I could live long enough to ever be able to do what she does. That's why I stopped looking at her stuff for inspiration...not a chance I'd get there in this lifetime! However, the sheer beauty of it draws me in everytime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%