Can I Put A Character Cake Directly On Top Of A Slab Cake?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm by indydebi

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I'm going to put a guitar cake (using the Wilton pan) on top of a 14" square cake (yes, it will fit (diagonally), but just). Can I put the guitar directly on top of the 14" square cake or should I put a cake board under the guitar (maybe cut to the same shape)? Also, should I use dowels and a sharp dowel though the entire cake? I am driving with it for about 20 minutes. If I do put the guitar directly on top of the cake without the board, will the customer be able to serve it okay without the icing sticking? Any help and advice is so appreciated. Thanks! Love you guys!!

9 replies
diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 10

To be safe, (If it were me) I would just go ahead and place the guitar cake on a cake board cut to fit and use dowels in the lower cake.
I'm not sure what you meant by "If I do put the guitar directly on top of the cake without the board, will the customer be able to serve it okay without the icing sticking?" Did you mean "with the board"? If so, you can sprinkle some ps on the buttercream where you will be placing the guitar cake and it shouldn't stick when the cake is removed. Does that help?

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 10

I did something like that before (not guitar) and I sure put a board under the cake and dowels under it just to be on the safe side . My bottom cake was 2 layers , so to me , it makes too heavy if you put a 3rd layer without a board. My opinion.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 10

I did a cake like this but put the guitar on a 12 by 18 sheet cake. Here's a picture:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=988033

I would definitely put a board under it AND a few dowels and here is why. Because you are squeezing the guitar on to a very small cake, there won't be much support on the edges. The weight of the guitar on the edges of your cake might make them crush or cave in.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

To be safe, (If it were me) I would just go ahead and place the guitar cake on a cake board cut to fit and use dowels in the lower cake.
I'm not sure what you meant by "If I do put the guitar directly on top of the cake without the board, will the customer be able to serve it okay without the icing sticking?" Did you mean "with the board"? If so, you can sprinkle some ps on the buttercream where you will be placing the guitar cake and it shouldn't stick when the cake is removed. Does that help?

I totally agree with Diane. Putting the guitar cake on a board makes it more stable, but also allows the guitar cake to be lifted off to save or to serve. It's a mess trying to cut and serve a cake that's directly on top of another cake, unless you're going to cut clear through both. You want to add supports whenever you're adding weight on top of a cake, no matter how dense/firm you think the bottom cake it is. You wouldn't want it to jiggle/shift when moved/transported. Good luck!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 10

I've decided to definately go with a cake board underneath the guitar and also to use dowels. Thank you so much for all your advice!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 10

Putting it on a board for ease of serving is a very good idea. But just for future reference, you are putting a single layer (shaped) cake on a single layer sheet cake. which equals a 2-layer cake. we dont' put cardboards & dowels between our 2-layer cakes ... just filling.

Back in my early days, when I did shaped cakes, I put them on top of sheets all the time. It was a 2-layer cake except the top layer was a different shape.

So a board is not necessary for the support aspect. it will hold up just fine.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 10

Yep, I agree with Debi (as usual!) I assumed your 14" was a double layer and that the guitar on top would put too much weight on the very bottom layer. My bad icon_wink.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 10

Acutally the 14" cake is going to be a double layer (meaning one layer of filling between two layers of cake) so I definately think the cake board under the guitar is a good idea. Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

Acutally the 14" cake is going to be a double layer (meaning one layer of filling between two layers of cake) so I definately think the cake board under the guitar is a good idea. Thanks!

With that set-up, I agree. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%