Are You Using Sam's Club Buttercream, Help..

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 6:06am by HowCoolGomo1

cre8_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8_acake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #31 of 43

I too use the Sam's club buttercream thumbs_up.gif when I'm pressed for time and cant make a batch from scratch and I have no problems with it crusting. I also use it for my fbct's when I can. I use it straight from the bucket I dont add anything to it outside of food coloring. icon_smile.gif

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #32 of 43

All the feedback/ideas is/are awesome...thanks!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #33 of 43

I've bought the colored buttercream several times! I dont know what I'd do if they didnt sell me the red and black! I cant make that stuff to save my life icon_smile.gif I dont know where in TX you are, but if you're in/near Houston the one off of Hwy 6 and 90 in Sugar Land will sell it to you.

PartyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyCake Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #34 of 43

I have such a hard time opening the lid on Sam's But R Cream bucket. Does anyone use a tool or can you explain it to me? It takes about 10 minutes for me to loosen the lid and am exhausted before I even start decorating.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyCake

I have such a hard time opening the lid on Sam's But R Cream bucket. Does anyone use a tool or can you explain it to me? It takes about 10 minutes for me to loosen the lid and am exhausted before I even start decorating.

I agree, the lid is not easy to deal with and i'm afraid of hurting my fingers.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #36 of 43

I just saw my sam's sells the But-R-Creme right by the bakery on the shelves, white and colored. I was thinking about trying it, but I don't make enough cakes.

PartyCake Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #37 of 43

Do you mean chocolate or colored frosting? I have only seen the white and chocolate at my Sam's.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:11am
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyCake

I agree, the lid is not easy to deal with and i'm afraid of hurting my fingers.

I have a tool my hubby brought home from work for me, it's used to open 5gallon buckets of paint and glue (mine was new, no piant on it..lol0k so it wors like a charm on the Sam's bucket.
Let me get a hold of him and ask him what it's called.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #39 of 43

http://www.homegrownharvest.com/bucketopener.html

Here it is, except mine does'nt have the hammer on the other side, man I'm gonna have to get this one, that way so I can free up some space and not have the rubber mallet crowding my drawer!

It works like a charm though and saves the fingers!

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:20am
post #40 of 43

To be able to sell buckets of colored icing all (they) SAM's bakery needs is the PLU#or item number#. The numbers are standard thoughout the company. There might be slight variation by regions but that I remeber they are all the same. PLU# is used to print a label in the bakery dept. Item# is used to look it up at the register.
I have bought both red and black for the same reasons.......color. I hate mixing those two colors.

The PLU# for red is 21359 & the item# 723772
The PLU# for black is 21369 & the item# 723842

All SAM's all supposed to sell what is called "Case Sell". If they refuse, you should speak to a memeber of management. They are supposed to keep enough stock to be able to sell to small businesses. If they (management included) tell you they don't do that, you need to call/contact their corporate offices. They are in business for businesses!
Sam's Club
Member Services
608 S.W. Eighth St.
Bentonville, AR 72716
888-746-7726

HTH!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:47am
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

How close is the flavor of walmart to homemade buttercream, because I don't want to sacrifice taste. Not when it's my reputation on the line.

It has a different taste than homemade buttercream, but I'm not crazy about homemade buttercream either. I use the Sam's when I have a lot to do and I've never had complaints. I use either one because they crust well and get the job done. My preference are the meringue buttercreams. They're so smooth and delicious, but they do not crust.

PartyCake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:34am
post #42 of 43

I will see if Home Depot sells the tool, otherwise I am definitely buying the one from the link you sent. Thank you. I wonder if everyone else has the same problem of opening the lid.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:06am
post #43 of 43

I haven't used it for years, but it was always the easiest to smooth. I used a warm spackle knife (hardware store in the paint section) and hot water. I also have a really good turntable.

The above knife was the least expensive, because they are the most flexible. Keeping it warm is having a hot bowl of water and paper towels near by.

I also did the viva method with it. I was never ecstatic with the results.

I don't ever remember it crusting properly for either way of getting it done.

San Antonio, the only store that would sell it to me was at Bitters and 281. Costco, told me to politely get lost.

My friends and family liked it better than straight homemade buttercream, wasn't as sweet.

Piping stiff consistency, I went back to the W classroom icing. It was always a little soft. Which if you look at the flowers Sam's and Costco do on their cakes, they don't have crisp edges. Always a little soft looking and I'm not talking the W Victorian rose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%