What Is A Good Pairing Re: Cake And Fillings

Decorating By cabecakes Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm by lilscakes

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 13

I would just like to get some of your ideas on what are some good pairing as far as cake and filling. Yesterday I made some yellow cupcakes with pastry cream filling and yellow cupcakes with raspberry filling. Both had regular buttercream icing. My DH said they were probably the best cupcakes he had ever eaten. This is the first time I have used filling, and I was just wondering what some of your favorites were.

12 replies
just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 13

I would love to know, too.

cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 13

Your new assistant is adorable.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 13

Chocolate with peanut butter filling, chocolate with oreo cookie filling, vanilla or chocolate or pineapple cupcakes with coconut filling, Lemon cupcakes with "twinkie-type" filling, yellow cupcakes with mocha filling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 13

I haven't found a bad combo yet. If anyone asks "Can you mix this and that?" my attitude is "why CAN'T you?"

Just start slapping stuff together. I really can't think of any combos that I've heard of or that my brides have ordered that have been duds.

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 13

right now my best combo is chocolate cake filled with a thin layer of ganache, a thin layer of caramel and sprinkled with Heath toffee bits. (You have to do all three between each layer) SO yummy.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 13

Since I am new to this I always have asked myself about this too. So I hope to learn a lot in here....

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 13

yummmmm....MICKEY17......I'm going to have to try that one tomorrow...if I make it til tomorrow! It sounds so yumm!

cabecakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #10 of 13

Mickey 17, you just made my hips grow another 2 inches just thinking about that one. Ohhhhh myyyyy! I just got a cold chill. That's a must try. I just got a caramel recipe off here the other night I've been wanting to try too. Thannnk Youuu. Floral 1210 I really like the orea cookie one too. In fact, they all sounded pretty daggone good.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey17

right now my best combo is chocolate cake filled with a thin layer of ganache, a thin layer of caramel and sprinkled with Heath toffee bits. (You have to do all three between each layer) SO yummy.

You just help me get the second tier planned for a Halloween cake next Saturday. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 13

One of my fave combos came from the gourmet thread, it is butter pecan cake, maple cream cheese filling with praline pecans! Everyone loves it.

The other one I do is a chocolate or white chocolate mousse usually with chocolate cake! People LOVE that, even the 'I'm not crazy about chocolate' people.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 13

deep dark chocolate with mocha buttercream! Sinfully delicious! Another fav is the WASC with raspberry cream filling! Standard request from many customers. Also love lemon cake with blueberry filling....spice with pumpkin cream filling....I could go on and on...haven't tripped across a bad combo yet icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%