Decorating On Fondant

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm by Caths_Cakes

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 10

I am looking to decorate fondant footballs to go on the top of buttercream cupcakes. If I decorate the footballs with royal icing should I anticipate any problems? I know fondant pull moisture from other icing/cakes and I don't want the footballs to wilt.

9 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 10

I am wondering if the icing would dry correctly without bleeding......
Can you make the fondant brown and just use a food marker to
make the decoration on the ball??? I have used the marker on fondant
and i have also used food coloring gel with a fine paintbrush to detail fondant and both worked well.

cricket0616 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 10

The plan was to roll out some brown fondant and cut them in to football shapes. I was going to allow to dry several days. I need to decorate the strings and white lines on the football and was trying to determine if royal icing would work?

cricket0616 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 10

bump

terrijproductions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrijproductions Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 10

I've not run into any problems using buttercream on top of fondant. I've never tried Royal Icing but I assume if it's ok for one, it's ok for another.

The only issue I've had is that once the colored buttercream is on the fondant it's not easy to remove the color if you need to correct a mistake. But other than that, no wilting issues or anything along those lines.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 10

I have used both BC and RI on top of fondant and both work great! thumbs_up.gif

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 10

I've found that decorating fondant with RI works really well, especially for those tiny details with the #1 tip. There is so little moisture in the RI, that it doesn't affect your fondant at all. The only problem I've ever seen is if your RI comes in contact with your buttercream. It's the RI that will pull the moisture from the buttercream and melt - so when you place them, just make sure one doesn't touch the other.

cricket0616 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 10

One more question: If I mixed tyloose with fondant, cut the football shapes and placed them on top of a buttercream frosted cupcake, will it wilt after a while? I was also planning on making headstones out of fondant and standing them on cupcakes.

I just want to make sure all my hours of work are worth it.

cricket0616 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 10

bump

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 10

With your headstones and footballs for your cakes, i would cut out all your shapes and leave them to dry plenty of time ahead of your cakes, So once it comes to putting your cupcakes together, your shapes will be dried and nice and hard, so they shouldnt wilt

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%