Letter Cutters

Decorating By Lynn929 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm by tracey1970

Lynn929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn929 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 17

I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD PROBLEMS USING THE TAPPITT LETTERS "FUNKY LETTERS" I USED CORN STARCH BUT THE LETTERS TEAR THEY WONT RELEASE, JUST WONDERING IF ANY HAD ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THERE......CAN YOU USE FONDANT INSTEAD OF GUNPASTE ON THE LETTERS AS WELL? icon_smile.gif

16 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 17

It takes a while to figure them out. They are meant to be used only with gumpaste. What I do is roll the gumpaste out super thin. And then I let it dry for 5 minutes or so. Then I come back and cut the letters out. I also use the cornstarch. A lot of times, the letters will stay where they are next to fondant and I just pull the fondant up and around the letters. Hope this helps.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 17

There have been several threads about them. Fondant is even harder to work with than gumpaste. I do what others have said, be sure to have some shortening on your work surface so the cut-out letter will have a tendency to stick to it instead of the tappit, be sure to dip the tappit in cornstarch, then shake off the excess, and roll the gumpaste thin. One thing I use is a little paintbrush to push it out from the back. Wish they'd made these a little easier to work with! I've been on the lookout for some neat alphabet cookie cutters. Tonedna has some videos on youtube.com to help also.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 17

There are a few helpful youtube tutorials but it is kind of trial and error. I have found what works best for me is using fondant with or without tylose, rolling to 3 on my KA pasta roller, putting a very very light coating of shortening on it then pressing them. I don't even let them dry all that much. Use a needle tool and slightly pick an end out and ease the rest out. I had tried all kinds of different ways, letting it dry, adding tylose etc. this is just works for me and the humidity in my area. HTH

cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 17

And sometimes when the gets stuck in the tappit, I just wack the thing on the table. And sometimes it pops out just fine. I wonder if that's why they are called tappits. Hehe.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

And sometimes when the gets stuck in the tappit, I just wack the thing on the table. And sometimes it pops out just fine. I wonder if that's why they are called tappits. Hehe.

In that case-- I think they should be renamed Slammits or Bangits. Tappits doesn't fit. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

Quote:

And sometimes when the gets stuck in the tappit, I just wack the thing on the table. And sometimes it pops out just fine. I wonder if that's why they are called tappits? Hehe.

In that case-- I think they should be renamed Slammits or Bangits. Tappits doesn't fit. icon_smile.gif

LOL! That's true.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #8 of 17

I do tap them to get them out. They haven't been as easy for me as some of the other tappits. I was told to tap them in a class that I had with Nicholas Lodge. I use gumpaste and roll it very thin. I rub a little shortening also.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 17

Here is a tutorial on them. Gumpaste is best for them.

Edna icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks Edna! I didn't even know they had block letters. I have the funky and the script. I'm gonna have to get some of the block now.

tonedna Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 17

I wish they would make Monograms Styles!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

That would be awesome! You should call the company up and suggest it!! Tell them you're famous in the cake world and this is what you want!
They'd be stupid not to listen to you! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

That would be awesome! You should call the company up and suggest it!! Tell them you're famous in the cake world and this is what you want!
They'd be stupid not to listen to you! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

lmao...that's too funny...I wonder if the thought has come through their brains
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 17

Who knows? But monogram tappits would be awesome!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #15 of 17

Thank you Edna for that video! I was about to throw these funky alphabet cutters in the trash icon_sad.gif Your video saved them!

tonedna Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

Thank you Edna for that video! I was about to throw these funky alphabet cutters in the trash icon_sad.gif Your video saved them!

I almost did the same too once..lol
Anytime!
Edna icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 17

I use fondant in mine all the time, and I have all the letter sets available. Most of the time, I mix it with a bit of gum-tex powder, so that hardens it a bit more than fondant usually does. However, I have used straight fondant too. I just do what others have suggested - roll it VERY thin, let it sit to dry for a bit. Some letters do stick once in a while, but not very often.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%