Rolled Buttercream On Cupcakes?

Baking By cakefairy03 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm by cakefairy03

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 14

I am planning on making cupcakes for halloween and want a fondant (ie. smooth) finish, but without the taste/chewiness of fondant. So, after reading about rolled buttercream, I am thinking about using it, but everything I've read about RBC has been for cakes or cookies. Just a couple of questions...How would I get the RBC to stay on the cuppy? Would putting regular buttercream on first help? Also, is this enough icing (it usually rolled thin, right?) or again, would putting regular bc on first be better? I usually like a good mound of icing on top of my cc! And, can I make/cut out shapes/strips of RBC like you can do with fondant? TIA!

13 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 14

Well, it's going to be a trade-off. Either you have a nice big mound of fluffy creamy BC or you have a smooth top.

cakefairy03 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 14

Sorry. I guess I didn't make that clear enough. The reason I like the mound of icing is because you get a lot of sweetness with each bite of cc. So, would the thin layer of RBC be sweet enough, or would I need to add regular bc so that the cupcake doesn't overpower the icing? Hope that's better stated!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 14

I think you would want buttercream under the RBC to help the RBC stick better.

PuffCake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 14

I don't think that would be too much icing...can you really have too much icing on a cupcake? icon_smile.gif

And yes, you can make cut out accents and strips with RBC. Just be extra gentle and careful because RBC is softer and more fragile than fondant.

cakefairy03 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks! I can't wait to try it out!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 14

RBC tended to tear and lose its shape when handling. Roll it our on waxed paper, roll over with an impression mat or roller. And then cut out your circle with a round cutter and remove the excess and then slide the wax paper onto a cookie sheet and pop it into the freezer it will firm up and then you can peal off the wax paper and lay it on your cuppie. It is super sweet!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 14

How do you use it on cookies? The recipe is on here?

PuffCake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

How do you use it on cookies? The recipe is on here?

Here's a link to another thread that should answer your questions about RBC. It starts off talking about other types of icing for cookies, but eventually the discussion gets around to RBC. Toward the end is the link to a recipe. You can use it on cookies, cupcakes, small cakes and for accent pieces. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652361&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

hjustesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjustesen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 14

Puffcake, thanks for the link. I've never tried RBC before and am totally curious!
By the way, that cake on your post is awesome!

PuffCake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjustesen

Puffcake, thanks for the link. I've never tried RBC before and am totally curious!

Thanks hjustesen!

Try out the RBC. It's awesome! I use it mostly for cookies because I like soft cut out cookies with soft creamy icing. RBC gives the soft creamy texture and taste of buttercream, but is great to decorate with because it can be rolled and gives a smooth surface! I just uploaded another RBC cookie to my photos the other day...fall leaves and pumpkins.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1483733

hjustesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjustesen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 14

Those are great. I really love working with MMF but my husband hates the flavor. I'll have to give this a try and see if it will makes both of us happy! =)

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjustesen

Thanks hjustesen!

Try out the RBC. It's awesome! I use it mostly for cookies because I like soft cut out cookies with soft creamy icing. RBC gives the soft creamy texture and taste of buttercream, but is great to decorate with because it can be rolled and gives a smooth surface! I just uploaded another RBC cookie to my photos the other day...fall leaves and pumpkins.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1483733

Avitar is simply amazing.

Thanks for the link and a phot! Those cookies looke delish!

cakefairy03 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks PuffCake and sadsmile for all the info. I will definitely be trying this out near halloween!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%