Help! I Need To Make A Chinese Dragon Wedding Cake.

Decorating By Karen1534 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm by cabecakes

Karen1534 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen1534 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any ideas? I thought about using white molding paste est. to make the dragon. I'd like for the dragon to wrap around the tiers. And, stick up above the layers just a little. How do I go about doing this? And, how do I go about coloring it? I have a air brush. Can I color it in with it? The colors are Chinese Red and Gold metalic. The wedding is Oct. 31. Thanks everyone!

8 replies
mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 9

Have you checked the gallery right here on CC? Go to the Asian/Oriental gallery. or you could type in Chinese Dragon Cake in the search section and you might find an inspiration.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 9

i like your thoughts on the modelling paste. Perhaps it might be easier to make the dragon in sections if you want it wrapping round the tiers. i would problies hand paint it though. lots of work for you but thing it would have a nice effect espically as i imagine there will be lots of little details to fill in

kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 9

They made one on the show Cake Boss. Maybe you could see a rerun of it somehow and see how they did it.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 9

How about a Chinese dragon in rkt sitting at the very top of the cake with chinese symbols for happiness, prosperity and love on the sides of the tiers - that would be totally cuteicon_smile.gif

Karen1534 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen1534 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks to all of you! I'll have some time to try different things before the cake is due. You cakers really rock! I knew if I came here you guys would give me some good ideas. I'm also going to try some rice paper that I found at an Asian Food store. Looks and feels like it might work. I plan on tracing the design and coloring it in with gel. I think I can cut it out with a pair of scissors and apply it to the cake with bc. It seems stiff enough that I can apply it to the sides of the cake and that it will stand up above the tiers. It's worth checking out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 9

I watched that episode on cake boss - it was an amazing cake! If I remember right - the dragon heads were molded from rkt, then covered and painted. Really have to see it to appreciate all the hard work that went into it. Of course the outcome made my jaw drop to the floor in awe. lol I am sure that episode would be very helpful.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

I think I would maybe make a dummy cake the size of the one you are making and do the dragon in RKT, wrap it around the dummy cake for sizing, remove it and then cover in fondant and airbrush it before you put it on the other cake. It should set back down on with very little adjustment. But being RKT it should be slightly flexible. I have never tried it, but I think that's what I'd try if you are determined to have it wrap around the tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%