Printer For Edible Images Question

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 6:15am by EdibleSupply-Com

bakingmama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmama18 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:03pm
post #31 of 52

Oh no, I ordered a bunch, and I planned on doing mostly cookies; I'm a little nervous now. I hope the frosting sheets will be ok... I'll let you know!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #32 of 52

The frosting sheets are workable, so don't be nervous. I just found them to be more grainy because they are so thin.
In order to get them off the backing without much tearing, i recommend leaving them out at room temp to harden a bit (after printing, of course) and then peel them off (i use a bench scraper).

bakingmama18 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:48pm
post #33 of 52

Thanks Luv2bake6, I just received them the other day, they weren't so bad, I think I have to be careful not to put too much water on the surface, or they tear.. It's sooo cool!
Thanks!

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:10am
post #34 of 52

You might be better off using corn syrup that is slightly watered down. This is thicker than water and won't cause the EI to break easily.

bakingmama18 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #35 of 52

oh, great tip, thanks. Maybe youll know...I ordered the pre-printed designer frosting sheets from Luck's as well, I tried baking the cookie with the sheet on, and it wrinkled, I thought that was one way to apply them, if i cant then I guess I'll apply them after theyre cooked- I just wanted an easier way to apply them, if I put them on after, then I have to cut each one out smaller than the cookie, right? lots of work...

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #36 of 52

Nope, won't work like that. There are 2 ways for you to apply. Either ice the cookie, allow to dry and then apply with some thinned corn syrup, or apply while icing is still wet and allow to dry completely.
I used to do it the second way but found that the frosting sheet dried kind of lumpy at times, or bled into the icing. Then i read somewhere here that people apply it onto dried icing and realized that's how they had it look so flat!

bakingmama18 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #37 of 52

ok, so does it matter if i use rolled fondant or royal icing to cover the cookie? It sounds good, though- I wasnt icing the cookie when I experimented with a baked cookie. icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #38 of 52

I've never done it on fondant but it's pretty much the same idea.
The reason why i was putting the EI on wet icing is because they advertise that it melts into the icing so you cannot tell what it is. Well, that wasn't true. When the icing dried and i broke the cookie in half, i was able to peel the EI off in one piece.
That's why i now do apply with the corn syrup because the melting won't occur either way and this ensures a nice flat surface.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #39 of 52

I use vodka to apply my ei.... And I can't peel off the EI from the cookie... And the vodka evaporates really quick!

bakingmama18 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #40 of 52

Thanks, guys, the vodka sounds easier than corn syrup, but Ill try both. Any other hints or tricks so I dont waste the printed sheets?

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #41 of 52

let the sheets sit out to stiffen a bit. When they just come out of the printer, they are very soft and could tear easily (especially the thinner ones) when you are trying to peel them off. I use a bench scraper to get them off safely.

bakingmama18 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:21am
post #42 of 52

Thank you, thank you! You've been so helpful. I tried the vodka, it was easier to just use, it worked great-thanks Verono. I appied the pre-printed sheets to fondant and then to the cookie, it worked beauifully! I'll post pictures soon..ttyl, Mari

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:41am
post #43 of 52

You are welcome!
But I learned the tricked here on CC icon_wink.gif

bakingmama18 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #44 of 52

icon_rolleyes.gif Yup, I am soooo thankful that I found this site; I've learned so much and I'm just a "newbie"!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #45 of 52

I've got the epson xp200 and have alot of problems with clogging when not used frequently. But I do need to order new cartridges, I've refilled them for about 6 months.

EdibleSupply-Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleSupply-Com Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:36am
post #46 of 52

Did you try to flashing your Canon print head with HOT WATER for about 3 mins?

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #47 of 52

I've had the same problem and have pretty much almost given up on EI's. It's great for those who will use it frequently but i don't and the ink keeps clogging.
There were some pretty good tips about storing the carts in ziplocs and rinsing the printhead after each use, but i need to get it to work again before i can get to the maintenance phase. I have rinsed the printhead, soaked it, had to refill carts consistently, etc etc. but i could not get the magenta to work. I've put it on hold for a while because the whole deal was way too frustrating.

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:56am
post #48 of 52

Try to make a color chart in Excel(MS) file with Red(Fill Color) the do some test print.

luv2bake6 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #49 of 52

Thank you. I will take your advice and see if it works, but i'm almost positive that it is the printhead. Thanks.

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #50 of 52

You still can try to clean with Hot water and see what happen.

luv2bake6 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #51 of 52

did that a few times but there were still clogs......even let the printhead soak a bit and then rinsed, but that didn't work either.

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #52 of 52

Let me know your phone number and best time to call you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%