Baking Strips

Decorating By Lauren251 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 5:41am by Lauren251

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:55am
post #1 of 4

I bakec two different cakes tonight to decorate later this week and I used the baking strips on both of them. My problem is that I baked a round 9 in cake (which the baking strips worked and stuck to the pan perfectly), but when I tried to wrap the baking strips around the rectangle (9 by13 in) pan I could not get the strip to stay around the pan. The final result ended in the dome that I hate because it is just wasted cake... ughhh. On a bright note both cakes did not have crusted sides like usual.

Did I mention this was my first time using the strips, I have heard so many good things I just had to try them. I just dont know what I am doing wrong with the rectangular pan???

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated I am a newbie and want to learn as much as possible, since cake decorating has become my new found passion icon_smile.gif

3 replies
lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:22am
post #2 of 4

I posted a similar question a while back. A great idea fellow CCers gave me was to use a binder clip to secure the strips. You can find these big black binder clips anywhere.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:28am
post #3 of 4

I have had this problem too. But I solved it.

I own two different types of rectangular pans. My 9x13 pans have a sort of handle that sticks out on each end and a lip all the way around the pan. I wrap the strip so that it is part way on top of the handles on each end, and under the lip along each side. Pulled tight and pinned.

My 12x18 rectangles are Wilton and slightly wider at the top than the bottom. On those pans I wrap the strip so the top edge of the strip is pulled tight over the rolled lip on two opposite corners, but below the rolled edge on the other two opposite corners. The strips are fairly stretchy when they are wet so they can be wrapped these ways and still be pulled tight.

It takes some practice. I hope all this makes sense. The strips stay on fine and my cakes do quite well this way. Sometimes a tiny dome, but not much.

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:41am
post #4 of 4

I didnt know I could binder clips in the over... I was using the straight pins provided...

SugarFrosted- I think my pans are wilton so I will try to stretch them a little. Bit I was a bit confused, maybe the clips will help next time I will certainly try.

Thanks for the help guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%