I Left The Butter Out All Night

Decorating By katie11 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm by Mom23Angels

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 9

I pulled out some butter last night to make a batch of buttercream, but I ran out of time. Today when I got home from work I saw the two sticks of butter still on the counter from last night. Should I chuck them or can I use them to make my frosting tonight? Thanks!

Katie

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 9

Make the frosting.

butter is safe to leave out for "a while"

a while being several days and up to a week or more depending upon the temperature in the house.

it will be soft -- but that just makes it easier to mix in the sugar.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #3 of 9

In Germany we leave the butter out on the counter all the time, so that it is not too hard to spread, should be ok, unless your house is really hot. You can smell rancid butter or just taste a bit of it

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 9

My MIL in Iowa leaves her butter on the counter all the time. When it's used up, she gets out another stick to put in the covered butterdish. Your butter will be fine.

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 9

My husband is a food scientist and we have always let the butter out. I really doesn't hurt it unless its homemade butter and who has time for that. He said it can set out for several days. So bake away!!! thumbs_up.gif

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 9

I keep my butter dish out on the counter all the time.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 9

when I was a little girl (many moons ago) 50s...........they always had butter dish on the kitchen table.....we all lived too

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #8 of 9

Thanks! I hate throwing stuff out!

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 9

I always leave my butter out (just like my mom did) and my husband thinks it's gross. But none of us have gotten sick...or maybe that's why we have strong stomachs icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%