Windswept Leaf Cookie

Baking By gina_ann Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm by ButtacreamRose

gina_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina_ann Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 5

I saw this in a recent Women's Day magazine and thought they were beautiful. Any tips on how to get that windswept look? The directions can be found on the website (http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Windswept-Leaf-Cookies-Recipe), but I have a feeling it's not as easy as dragging a toothpick through frosting.

[/img][/url]
LL

4 replies
mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 5

I would definitely say they used thinned RI in multiple colors and then used a toothpick (or other tool) to drag the icing around. If you search the galleries for fall leaves, you will see several examples of people using this technique! HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 5

I would say they probably laid the main color down and then when it was wet - they went back and piped into the RI with the new color. Then they probably took the toothpick and swirled it around.

That's just what I think based on my own experience (playing time) with RI.

heycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 5

I get that magazine and thought those leaves were very pretty. I was fairly confident that they just used the wet-on-wet technique but decided to read the directions anyway. I thought is was so funny that the directions are to spread multiple colors of icing on the cookie and let dry. I was just imaging many frustrated newbie cookie makers when they tried to make their cookies look like the picture with those directions.

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%