Giving Kickbacks In Exchange For Advertising?

Business By rharris524 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 10:18am by indydebi

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 5

I was thinking of offering 10% (or something) to party halls that allow me to advertise/recommend me on any cake I do at their venue as an incentive to choose me over the next bakery (and there are TONS here). First off, is that legal?...seems like it would be, but I just want to make sure...Second, is it common practice? Does anyone have any thoughts as to why/why not

4 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #2 of 5

NO, it is not common practice. I'm not saying it is not done, I'm saying it is not common practice. Your work & your service will speak for itself & you will get recommendations based off that. If I was a bride/client I would not be happy to find out the recommendation I got was based of the fact that the vendor who gave the reccomendation did so, cause they recieved a kick back!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 5

I think it may be more commonly done than we really know. My husband used to work for a venue that had a lot of weddings and other big parties. His boss was the one who booked the events and he had a binder full of caterers, dj's, etc...which he recommended to the people who were booking events there. He got kickbacks from the different vendors. The caterers would fix him a certain number of frozen meals, for example. He said it worked well for him because he only recommended the ones that were careful of the facility, that is, didn't scrape walls with their carts, etc.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:11am
post #4 of 5

I know that my work speaks for itself but I'm pretty new and there is a LOT of competition. I'm just trying to figure out ways to get my foot in the door...I'm up for suggestions

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:18am
post #5 of 5

If you use the term "kickback", then no it's not legal in most places.

Many venues charge me a "Kitchen Access Fee". Some charge a flat fee. Some charge a percentage of the catering bill. One venue I know charges $450 PLUS 10% of the catering bill. None of them charge me if I'm just dropping off a cake, only if I'm staying and using their kitchen.

I bill my clients this amount and refer to it as "XYZ Access Fees". I explain in detail to the client WHY they are being billed this amount; that it's not ME charging this line item, it's the venue who is charging it ... they're not charging it thru me.

But "kickbacks"? No way, babycakes! It may be just semantics, but I work to keep a very clear line between the terms!

Find (or form one!) a wedding networking group in your area where you can meet and get to know lots of other wedding vendors. I belong to one and it's great! I've gotten to know lots of folks that I otherwise would never have met!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%