Finally A Scratch Wasc Recipe!

Decorating By LorienSkye Updated 5 Oct 2019 , 3:38am by SandraSmiley

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #301 of 449

Halved recipe & made this heavenly devine cinnamon roll tasting cake: made this using Cinnamon Roll coffee creamer (3/4 Cup) and subbed 8oz Cinnamon Roll Yoplait Yogurt for the 8oz of yogurt. Added 1 teasp. of cinnamon powder and 1/2 teasp of cinnamon extract with the vanilla (1 Tablesp total for flavor.)

Wow! It made the flavor pop! Cupcakes baked up nicely and flat, rose perfect, made a 6" round and it baked up 2-1/2" nice and flat.

Paired this wi

GI Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #302 of 449

....(got kicked off cc, sorry!)

I paired this delicious confection with just a hint of cinnamon coffee creamer in SMBC for the cupcake filling, and iced in Vanilla-only SMBC.

Absolutely devine and beats any cinnamon cake, muffin, or roll I've had yet! thumbs_up.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:27am
post #303 of 449

yum, that sounds good! i did something along those lines with the vanilla spiced rum coffee creamer and also used the creamer in my smbc and it was out of this world. made everyone's eyes roll in the back of their heads, lol.

cncsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncsmom45 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #304 of 449

Someone way back when mentioned using a cannoli filling with this cake. I was wondering what icing would go well to frost the outside?

GI Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #305 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmom45

Someone way back when mentioned using a cannoli filling with this cake. I was wondering what icing would go well to frost the outside?

Which recipe? Sorry...between cinnamon-roll, vanilla spiced rum...yummm,

I iced my cinnamon-roll-bun tasting cake with Vanilla SMBC because I didn't want to overpower the flavor of the cake. It was perfect.

I've never tried cannoli filling....at all. icon_smile.gif

cncsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncsmom45 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:53pm
post #306 of 449

Someone wrote that the cannoli filling was from someone named macsmom (?). I think it would pair nicely with the WASC or the chocolate cake mentioned here. It probably would be too much to frost the whole cake, I imagine.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #307 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmom45

Someone wrote that the cannoli filling was from someone named macsmom (?). I think it would pair nicely with the WASC or the chocolate cake mentioned here. It probably would be too much to frost the whole cake, I imagine.

here's the link to that recipe and more

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

kodeblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kodeblue Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #308 of 449

OK, I just mixed up a batch of the original recipe and it seemed very thick with just 1 cup of milk. I added another cup of milk and it is still thicker then a box mix. Is it supposed to be thick? I just put it in the oven so we'll see how it turns out.

kodeblue Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:36am
post #309 of 449

The cake did not turn out that great. It is a heavy cake. We actually used flavoured coffee creamer liquid, 2 cups, instead of milk. With the creamer being thicker then milk, could that be why this did not work?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #310 of 449

creamer has a lot of added sugar too, so that may have caused some issues in the baking.

kodeblue Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:00pm
post #311 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

creamer has a lot of added sugar too, so that may have caused some issues in the baking.

Would that make the cake heavy? I have read through all the pages on this thread and have seen a few people post that this recipe is light and fluffy. On the other hand, I read the gourmet thread and people have used flavoured coffee creamer. I am lost lol.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #312 of 449

i made it once and I found the cake ot be dense and heavy with the milk, but I used the full amount and the batter was very thin. ( i like dense, btw)

I have not tried it with creamer, but I just know using it in other recipes has caused my layers to sink. And too much sugar can mess with a recipe.

I think maybe others have found the correct balance of adding the creamer and possibly backing off on other ingredients....

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #313 of 449

The time or two I've made the scratch WASC with sour cream, it has come out very heavy and greasy. I've taken to substituting the sour cream for plain non-fat yogurt and it comes out just fine, and you can vary it a whole lot without any appreciable damage (I've made lemon, orange, strawberry, peanut butter and chocolate variations and they were all delicious).

kodeblue Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #314 of 449

Just to follow up on this recipe I tried before with flavoured coffee creamer. I am trying it now with just milk and the consistency of the batter is very nice, alot better then the creamer batter was, which was thick. I will post up my results when it is finished. I think for the next time to do a flavoured cake, I might try 1 cup of creamer and 1 1/2 cups of milk. That can be another day experiment though lol. Thanks for the advice to those that have helped us out and the the other posters.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #315 of 449

I just baked the straight up WASC, no variations, and while I have no idea how it tastes, it is so pretty coming out of the oven. I also just finished baking the Hershey's Chocolate Cake, and that thing is so darn fussy, sunken in the middle. Oh, but the WASC! It's just lovely. I baked 2- 10" rounds on convection at 325 for 40 min.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #316 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Thank you for sharing your good results. I wonder about using butter (or at least part butter) in this? Maybe I'll give it a shot this week.

Yeah, I'm a butter girl. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm a butter girl too. I may just give this recipe a try.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #317 of 449

Yesterday, I baked up a half batch of the wasc using butter and no other substitutions. The cupcakes were light and fluffy 20 minutes out of the oven (what can I say, I couldn't wait to taste it icon_biggrin.gif ) but today the cupcakes are very dense and dry. I love the taste but how can I ensure it maintains that fluffy texture?

This is how I halved the recipe:

3.5 c. cake flour (I use unbleached kaf, icon_redface.gif I hope this isn't the problem)
1 2/3 c. sugar
1TBS+ 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 c. butter (softened, room temp)
8 oz full fat sour cream
1/2 c. milk (I used about 3/4 c. because the batter looked too thick)
1/2 TBS vanilla extract
3 whole eggs

FYI: I sifted the dry ingredients into my mixer, mixed it for a bit and added the butter, and added the liquids (sour cream, vanilla, eggs, and the milk last). I mixed it for 2 minutes on 5 (on my KA). I baked the cupcakes for about 20 minutes at 335F. I set out to use only 1/2 c. of milk but ended up using almost 3/4 cup for the half batch.
Do you have any suggestions for what I might have done wrong? Should I have dumped all of the ingredients in as stated in OP? My apologies for so many questions but I am fairly new to this (I have always baked from scratch but I want to learn as much as I can). I am also trying to find a go-to recipe that I can rely on. Not to mention, I plan to bake the cupcakes for my daughter's 2nd birthday party next month!! I want to experience all of the scratch wasc's goodness!! thumbs_up.gif

Edited: I let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 5 minutes, I then put them in a container and put the lid half way on. I think it may have steamed them because the tops of the cupcakes were sticky. I don't know if that helps but I wanted you all to know exactly what I did.

Thanking you in advance for your time and wealth of knowledge icon_lol.gif

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:43am
post #318 of 449

Wow, awesome thread!
I am going to try the orginal scratch white wasc, and I'd like to know how many of you cream the shortening with the sugar first, then add eggs and sour cream, then dry ingredients? how many of you use the wasc method and mix all together?
Also, I saw that subbing creamer can mess up the baked result(like the butter and whole eggs) a little because of the fat content. What if you used fat free creamer? hmmm....any thoughts?

I am looking for a nice stackable and sturdy cake but not as dense and moist as the box wasc. So after reading this for hours now icon_smile.gif I am going to try it with the shortening, egg whites, and vanilla fat free creamer instead of the milk. Now, to decide if I should use 1 cup or 2.5 cups... and if I should use yogurt instead of the sour cream. Or maybe a fat free sour cream.
Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

careylynn Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm
post #319 of 449

Ok, just baked up a 6 inch original scratch white wasc. I halved the recipe. WOW, amazing cake. SOOOOOOO much better than wasc. It is so moist yet light, fluffy, and sturdy. Everything I want in a cake. This is what I did:
2.5 c cake flour (Iused ap flour +cornstarch, google for amounts)
1 2/3 c sugar
1T + 1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 c. fat free vanilla creamer
2/3 c shortening (walmart brand cuz it has the trans fat)
1 c. full fat sour cream
3/4 T clear vanilla
5 egg whites.

All my ingredients were room temp. I creamed the shortening and sugar for about 10-15 mins. Then added egg whites (NOT whisked). Then alternated dry ingredients to wet, starting and ending with dry. Then added vanilla. Baked at 350 for 50 mins. I used a flower nail.

The only thing I didn't care for it was the metallic aftertaste from the baking powder. I might add more flavoring next time. Other than that, a PERFECT CAKE!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #320 of 449

careylynn, you're saying the after taste came from the baking powder icon_sad.gif . You know I just made the peanut butter variation last night. I was so happy with the texture but the felt like throwing out the whole batch because of the strong chemical after taste. I thought it might be the cake flour that I'm using (Robin hood cake & pastry flour). I'm pretty new in baking, could you guys help me with getting rid of that awful aftertaste? Will using more flavor really help? I use the Magic baking powder by Kraft foods.

careylynn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:52am
post #321 of 449

juststarted...yea, the metallic aftertaste is from the aluminum in some baking powders. I researched it after I baked my last cake. Here is the website I found that is very helpful.

http://www.culinate.com/articles/features/baking_powder

I immediately ordered new baking powder and I'll let you know when I bake another cake from this recipe using the new non-aluminum one!!!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 6:56pm
post #322 of 449

That's a great article careylynn. I didn't check by baking powder yet but I'm sure one of the ingredients will read aluminum. let me know how your venture goes.

careylynn Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #323 of 449

Ok, well, I baked the same cake today with the non-aluminum baking powder and completely got rid of the metallic taste! Yay! On the other hand, I learned that pastry flour and cake flour are NOT the same. I swear I have read on another thread that they are interchangable, and no way they are! I ordered bobs red mill whole wheat pastry flour when I ordered the bp. It made the cake very crumbly, not even usable and it tasted like cornbread, lol. Thats ok though, I'm just glad I got rid of nasty aftertaste! I'm going to give it a third try with either real cake flour or what I did orginally, ap flour + cornstarch. I'll let ya know if third times a charm! I WILL MASTER THIS!!

StephanieLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephanieLynn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #324 of 449

Has anyone tried this recipe using mandarin oranges? If so, would you omit the sourcream?

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:28am
post #325 of 449

Has anyone tried using this recipe to make a peanut butter cake? Do you use the peanut butter in place of sour cream??

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:14am
post #326 of 449

bakemeacake78, back on page 2, there are a bunch of variations.

Peanut Butter Scratch WASC

* 5 c cake flour
3 1/3 c sugar
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c milk
1 1/3 c creamy peanut butter
16oz sour cream
1 Tbsp vanilla or almond extract
5 whole eggs

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:46am
post #327 of 449

Oh great! Thanks. Don't know how I missed that one.

astridstarr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astridstarr00 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:28am
post #328 of 449

I'm definitely trying some of these recipes tomorrow! I'm just getting into cakes & noticed the WASC recipe mentioned a lot, but I noticed it called for cake mix and I wanted to try to keep everything I make totally from scratch.

One question though I noticed that some were discussing the issue with the taste of the baking power, would it be possible to reduce some & still get it to rise at least a decent amount? I know that egg whites act as leveners, so would not going all whole eggs help with this (I don't think I would do all whites though since it tends to dry out cakes)?

careylynn Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #329 of 449

Just get non-aluminium baking powder, then you won't have the metallic aftertaste. I wouldn't lessen the amount or else you will end up with a more crumbly and dense cake.

astridstarr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astridstarr00 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:20pm
post #330 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

Just get non-aluminium baking powder, then you won't have the metallic aftertaste. I wouldn't lessen the amount or else you will end up with a more crumbly and dense cake.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to give that a try.

One more question that I'm sure has been asked but I just missed. How does the cake hold up to freezing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%