cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #211 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I need a lemon wasc too for next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

how would i make a scratch lemon wasc? tia... tried the chocolate one on this thread. and the butter one... both made up beautiful.. will be eating them this week end..will post how good they are.. now for the lemon wasc?

you could try subbing lemon yogurt for the sour cream and add some lemon zest and lemon extract to replace the vanilla.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #212 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

Quote:

I need a lemon wasc too for next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

how would i make a scratch lemon wasc? tia... tried the chocolate one on this thread. and the butter one... both made up beautiful.. will be eating them this week end..will post how good they are.. now for the lemon wasc?

you could try subbing lemon yogurt for the sour cream and add some lemon zest and lemon extract to replace the vanilla.

Or use lemon curd instead of the milk or some of the sour cream icon_confused.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:23pm
post #213 of 449

The lemon curd would definitely add more flavor than yogurt, would you decrease the sugar in the cake due to all the sugar in the lemon curd?

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #214 of 449
Quote:

The lemon curd would definitely add more flavor than yogurt, would you decrease the sugar in the cake due to all the sugar in the lemon curd?

I think it depends on what you prefer. Personally I like my lemon cakes a little tangy, so yes, I would decrease the sugar.

cas17 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #215 of 449

if i use frozen drink mix or anything kinda high in sugar in a cake i always have to decrease the sugar or my cake will sink in the middle. and i add an extra egg white.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #216 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

www. the fondant source .com

Put it all together see if that works....when you get to the site, just type in Sweetex hi-ratio and you should see it.

HTH

Thanks! Is this where you buy from? I noticed they have a non trans fat version. Which is better to use? It is not too expensive. at $85 for 50 lbs thats about $1.70 per lb. Crisco at walmart is about $1.40 per lb so not a huge diff.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:58am
post #217 of 449

icer101,

i have been experimenting with the lemon version but haven't gotten quite the way i want it yet.
i substitute lemon juice for about half of the amount of milk in the recipe and include about 1tablespoon of very finely grated lemon zest.
i'm still playing around with it. it's good so far but not perfect. i make a raspberry buttercream that compliments it very nicely.
hth

2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #218 of 449

Crazydoglady: Macsmom uses Simply Lemonade and lemon yogurt with the lemon cake mix for lemon WASC. Maybe using lemon zest and/or extract would make up for the lemon cake mix.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #219 of 449

crazydoglady... thanks for experimenting.. thanks to all that have posted since i asked.. i will patiently wait.. thank you again

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:36am
post #220 of 449

Wow, weird, this thread stopped sending me updates. icon_confused.gif I have made 3 more batches of this recipe since the first one (which I made as an orange cake).

The second time, I tried using more milk, so I used a total of 1 3/4 cup... I didn't like the result as much as when I used just 1 cup.

Tonight I made cakes 3 and 4. Number 3 is a strawberry cake... I subbed pureed cooked strawberries for part of the milk and used strawberry extract. It smells awesome and I stole a tiny crumb and it's tasty! Weird thing - the first pan of it shrunk a ton, the second is fluffy. Strawberries are acidic, though, so it might have thrown off the baking powder reaction a bit.

The 4th cake I made into a rainbow cake (just vanilla) but this time I added 1 tsp more of baking powder. My reason for this is that I have a recipe nearly identical to this one that doesn't have sour cream but if you add the sour cream plus the milk you get a similar recipe, does that make sense? Anyway, that one has more baking powder. Result = more even cake, less shrinkage... at least this time. Not sure if it makes a huge difference or not in all cases, but it was worth a try.

Just wanted to report on my experiments. Now I have to back track through this thread and see what I missed!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #221 of 449
Quote:

Crazydoglady: Macsmom uses Simply Lemonade and lemon yogurt with the lemon cake mix for lemon WASC. Maybe using lemon zest and/or extract would make up for the lemon cake mix.

Yep I've used simply lemonade too both in cakes (as a sub for milk) and in buttercreams. Its great.

crazydoglady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:33pm
post #222 of 449

i also tried lemon curd but didn't allow for the sugar in it so it didn't have any height and the edges carmalized.
is there much sugar in the lemonade?

crazydoglady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #223 of 449

the strawberry sounds great!
i was thinking of trying raspberry too.
i hadn't thought about the acidity and baking powder.
i have reduced the recipe to 1/4 so i make about a dozen cupcakes and don't have so much waste when my experiments go awry.
i can't fit any more cake balls in my tiny freezer and was spending lots of $$$ on butter.
i love this recipe! so flexible, so delicious!

cas17 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #224 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

i also tried lemon curd but didn't allow for the sugar in it so it didn't have any height and the edges carmalized.
is there much sugar in the lemonade?

i would say yes for the commercially made stuff

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #225 of 449

I used 1/3 cup of margarine on the yellow cake (everything else the same and that was my last cake flour) and it's still baking after almost 50 mts @ 350... I have my fingers crossed right now but it's not getting done! icon_sad.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #226 of 449

Margerine has a little more water than butter, so that's probably why it's taking a long time to bake.

crazydoglady Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #227 of 449

sjmoral - how did your cake turn out?

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:34am
post #228 of 449

I have a chocolate recipe similar to the one posted on page 8 (I think it's page icon_cool.gif and I add 3 oz of melted chocolate to the coffee mixture and then add it into the batter according to the directions! I think it helps with the moistness a day or two later having the cocoa butter in there.

Thanks for all the experimenting...it's been fun!!! Also, the mermaid factory cake (under the recipe section here) is amazing!!! If you're looking for a good butter/vanilla cake, it's super yuuuuummmy! We've been making it with half cake flour and half ap flour.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #229 of 449

Didn't turn out so good icon_cry.gif It looked as if it was undone although the cake tester came out dry (a little too wet but solid if you know what I mean...) The flavor was good (the hard parts that I cut out) but not the consistency. I had to make 2 boxes of yellow cake and get it over with (didn't have time or sour cream for more experimenting). I had high hopes with this icon_confused.gif
I've tried the mermaid factory cake and gave it a B (I score the cakes on my recipe sheets so that I can remember if I liked them) I want an A+ cake, still on the lookout!
I like the WASC with a cake mix but not happy with selling it...

crazydoglady Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #230 of 449

i also like the chocolate butter cake recipe in "cake bible".
i haven't made it for a while but will try to get it done this weekend for comparison to the one on page 8.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #231 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatuPR

Is called Betty Crocker's New Cake Decorating Creative Cakes for Every Occasion.

Funny thing is the book doesn't have any recipes that uses a cake mix, they are all from scratch, even though is by Betty Crocker lol.

I had the book for almost a decade now and have made several of the recipes and they are all really good.

CakesByLJ: the cookbook recipe calls for 1 1/4 c milk, so is half of the posted one. Not sure what the addition of sour cream does to the recipe.

GatuPR... I ordered the book and received it yesterday.. It is a great book.. I want to try a lot of the recipes, as they look really good.. Thanks again for this.. You are absolutely right about the ingredients.. apparently the only subsitution was the sour cream for some of the milk.. But the amount of flour is also slightly more, and the changes made throughout this thread... icon_lol.gif OK, maybe it's nowhere close to the original now..
But I am loving this final product.... thumbs_up.gif

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #232 of 449

CakesByLJ: the recipe posted here on CC, A Better White Scratch Cake is double the amount as the one in my book. I looked at it again and the sour cream does not substitute any amount of milk in my book. The sour cream was added to the CC recipe and that is the only change I see and the substitution of Cake flour for AP, I think that is why there is a little more cake flour. But everything else is the same. I hope you enjoy making the recipes thumbs_up.gif .

I have made the Pumpkin-Gingerbread Cake and use apple juice for the water. Also the Carrot Cake (I used applesauce for the oil with no problem) and Dark Cocoa Cake (I used 1/4 c cherry brandy and 1 C milk instead of the water but next time might add more cherry brandy icon_lol.gif ).

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #233 of 449

Hi everyone...I am new to this thread but have been trying to try a good white scratch recipe. I have read all 16 pages, but just to recap. If I want a true white cake I use shortening and not butter and I may also only need 1 cup of milk instead of 2.5 cups of milk?? Or if I use the original recipe but sub the butter for shortening, it can still be considered a "white cake", but will have a slight yellow color?? But if I want a true yellow cake just use the recipe on page 3? Sorry for so many questions icon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #234 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Hi everyone...I am new to this thread but have been trying to try a good white scratch recipe. I have read all 16 pages, but just to recap. If I want a true white cake I use shortening and not butter and I may also only need 1 cup of milk instead of 2.5 cups of milk?? Or if I use the original recipe but sub the butter for shortening, it can still be considered a "white cake", but will have a slight yellow color?? But if I want a true yellow cake just use the recipe on page 3? Sorry for so many questions icon_smile.gif

you have summed it up!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:48am
post #235 of 449

I would very much like to try a POM version of this recipe, does anyone have any suggestions?

I made the original scratch WASC version and absolutely loved it, but sadly, i dont seem to be very good at substititions. Im never sure what to add or what to omit icon_redface.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Would it be as simple as substituting liquid for POM juice?

Please help!!

Thanks

Jess

crazydoglady Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #236 of 449

jess,

i substituted lemon juice for the milk in this recipe with no problem.
by pom do you mean pomagranate?

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #237 of 449

yes, I mean Pomegranate juice.........sorry icon_redface.gif

were you making a lemon version of the cake?

Thanks for the help so far!

I bought extra POM juice today. I'm patiently waiting thumbs_up.gif

crazydoglady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm
post #238 of 449

yes i've been working on a lemon version. i used commercial lemon curd which didn't work very well and also lemon juice with a little lemon zest which was much better but needs tweaking.
please let us know how the pomegranate turns out - sounds like it will be delicious.
i'm thinking of trying blueberry juice in the cake and icing it with cream cheese/cinammon.
i love playing with this recipe!

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #239 of 449

I made one with with coconut oil instead of butter or shortening, eggs whites and half the milk, and it was awesome!!!!

crazydoglady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:56pm
post #240 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

I made one with with coconut oil instead of butter or shortening, eggs whites and half the milk, and it was awesome!!!!

wow! i'll bet that was good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%