How To Use Swiss Buttercream?

Decorating By dcakes27 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:30am by prterrell

dcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcakes27 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 6

I'm fairly new to cake decorating and lately it seems like I have no time at all to practice or get in here. But ok my question is, can swiss buttercream be used for all types of things like roses and borders, or what is it best for. Hope somebody can answer, I will try to get in here more often it makes me relax. Thanks

5 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

I've made SMBC but have only used it to fill or ice cakes. It's softer than american BC so I'm not sure if you could use it for roses, etc. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give you a definite answer! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, you can, BUT you have to keep cool hands and work fast. It is butter, so it will melt in hot hands.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 6

I forgot to mention I do let it firm up in the fridge before I use it for borders and such. I also let it firm up whne I use it for a dam.

dcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcakes27 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 6

thanks for your answers I had not been able to log in until today. I will be trying swiss buttercream.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 6

I use IMBC, which is very similar to SMBC in consistency to pipe decorations including borders and roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%