Switching Out Ingredients Tonight

Baking By saberger Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

I have looked through the amazing compilation of recipes from MacsMom and the gourmet flavors thread, but I have a quick couple of questions.

I want to make the Tiramisu cake tonight....do I leave out the sour cream & water and replace with the creamer & water? I wasn't sure if the asterisks show the ingredients to be replaced or not.

I really am trying to get the hang of all of this.

TIA

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't made that particular one, but the ones that I have made, the creamer and water are in place of the water in the original recipe, and the sour cream still goes in. Look at the volume of the creamer and water together, is it equal to the volume of the water in the original recipe? if it is, that's all it's replacing.

saberger Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Texas_Rose....That's what I thought too, but for the Tiramisu, it is actually 1 1/3 cup of creamer & 1 1/3 cup of water. WASC is 1 cup sour cream & 1 cup water.......that's why I thought maybe I should leave out the sour cream.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 5

The recipe I use is 2 boxes cake mix, 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 2 2/3 cups water, 2 cups sour cream, 8 egg whites, 2 tbsp oil, 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp almond.

So 2 2/3 cup liquid would be the replacement for the water in the full recipe. It sounds like you make the half recipe, so you should put in 2/3 cup water and 2/3 cup creamer and 1 cup sour cream.

saberger Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 5

Oh, maybe THAT is why I was confused?! I thought MacsMom used the *original*WASC as the starter, which is what I mentioned, but uses 3 eggs. Maybe she uses the same as what you mentioned, which she calls WASC.

Okay, so i would ALWAYS use sour cream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%