Help Please...im Getting So Frustrated :x

Decorating By Princezzmudd Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm by __Jamie__

Princezzmudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princezzmudd Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:49am
post #1 of 16

I have just recently started making my own MMF. I love this recipe and I love working with Fondant, but Im new at this, just starting out, I have covered 2 cakes and my fondant keeps tearing. Also every time I try to roll out the MMF, it looks like this....
CAn someone please help me and tell me what Im doing wrong?? Thank you so much for any help in advanced.
Angie
LL

15 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:41am
post #2 of 16

I don't know for fact, but mine gets like that when I've used too much shortening...whether when rolling or mixing.

Hopefully, someone will pop in that has more experience with the situation.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:42am
post #3 of 16

bump . Sorry, ive never made mmf before x

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:47am
post #4 of 16

I buy my fondant rather than using mmf but if those marks are made when you're rolling it, you could try dusting your rolling pin with powdered sugar.
Just a thought
icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #5 of 16

I use and make MMF a lot. It looks like it's a bit wet which is why you're getting those "sticky" looking marks.

Try adding a bit more conf. sugar, just a little at a time and kneed it in. You can also dust your surface and rolling pin with the conf sugar or corn starch.

HTH and good luck!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 16

Can someone else chime in here. I am pretty new at this also but I steer clear of MMF for that same reason, don't want to buy fondant because it is so expensive, however, I use Michelle Foster's Fondand recipe and love it.

So, is MMF more fragile than store bought?

Princezzmudd Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks to all those that have responded so far! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 16

I use macsmom's recipe for mmf and once you make it enough you'll find the exact consistency that works for you.

I haven't had any problems with it tearing or being more fragile then say Satin Ice fondant. I've never tried MFF so I can't compare the two.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 16

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in...
I buy commercial fondant because I haven't had too good of luck with the MMF (I am not giving up though--I love the taste) My fondant was doing the same thing. I was using shortening to roll out (I usually dust) because I was make black ribbons. I thought I had added to much color which is entirely possible, but I was using more shortening than I ever do. Looks like it can happen with commercial or homemade.

Princezzmudd Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #10 of 16

ok thanks to all. now can someone tell me when i have too much shortning what i can do to make it right? if there is anything. thank you

Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:31am
post #11 of 16

Just add more powdered sugar.

I'm curious what recipe are you using for MMF?

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 16

I always use MMF and have found that it is best to use cornstarch when rolling out my fondant. It will help if your fondant is soft due to too much shortening. I also find it is best to wrap the fondant after you finish making it and place it in the fridge for a few hours.

sarag30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarag30 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnessTigger

I always use MMF and have found that it is best to use cornstarch when rolling out my fondant. It will help if your fondant is soft due to too much shortening. I also find it is best to wrap the fondant after you finish making it and place it in the fridge for a few hours.

I do the same. Most of the time I just add more cornstarch when it gets to wet. Either when I am adding color or when I am rolling it out. Also if it is tearing you may be rolling it to thin.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 16

I've made and used MMF several times and I find I like the texture and flavor far better than most commercial fondants. I use the MMF recipe from whatscookingamerica dot com. You may not need to use ALL of the sugar called for in the recipe - you just have to get the "feel" of when it's enough.

I agree - your fondant looks a bit wet and is maybe catching on the rolling pin causing the fondant to stick to the pin and create those marks. More powd. sugar in your fondant should help, and you might dust your pin and rolling surface with some corn starch.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Can someone else chime in here. I am pretty new at this also but I steer clear of MMF for that same reason, don't want to buy fondant because it is so expensive, however, I use Michelle Foster's Fondand recipe and love it.

So, is MMF more fragile than store bought?

If you are using MFF, stick with that. Don't bother moving to MMF.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I use macsmom's recipe for mmf and once you make it enough you'll find the exact consistency that works for you.

I haven't had any problems with it tearing or being more fragile then say fondant. I've never tried MFF so I can't compare the two.

Oh Deb, if you knew you what you were missing. Try it once, you'll never go back! If you do, pay special attention to the step that says let the liquid come to lukewarm. Let it get room temp actually, works a bit better for me. The most heavenly handmade fondant ever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%