Help With Cake Pan Sizes!!

Decorating By mshazy Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm by xstitcher

mshazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mshazy Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:54am
post #1 of 4

Hello Everyone I am absolutely new to cake decorating and need to build my supplies. After doing some research I have my heart set on buying Magic Line pans! I am from Canada and would have to order online.

However I have a choice between the 2" deeps or the 3". Originally I wanted 3" deep....the 3" set comes in 6" , 8" , 10", 12", and 14" (which I think is a really good basic set). The 2" however comes in 13 sizes!!
Sizes 2"-14". My question here is are the odd sizes (2,3,4,5,7,9,11,13) very useful? Is paying $20 more for the odd sizes more worth it or going with the 3" set and then just adding the (one or two)odd size later better?

I don't really care about the money difference. I just don't want to have all these extra pans that I will never or hardly use. If anyone could tell me what sizes they use most often and if 2" or 3" matters a whole lot. I plan on baking cakes as a home business for now and cause I haven't actually started selling I don't know what sizes and depth I would be needing/using the most. Thanks in advance for any input out there icon_smile.gif

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 4

Odd size pans come in handy when you do a topsy turvy cake. I have odd size pans and I do use them. Now as far as 3" and 2" go, some people buy 3" so, they have to only bake 1 layer & torte that, where as a 2" pan, you would end up baking two layers. 3" versus 2' is a personal preference thing. I prefer 2" for easy torting. And that is also personal. I think it's easier. Some people have no problems splitting a 3" cake into 3 layers.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 4

I use odd size pans all the time, not just with topsy turvy. It comes in handy when you are trying to get the right servings, plus I like 3 inch difference when stacking cakes thus the odd size pans are useful. As far as 2 or 3 inch depth, it is a matter of personal preference, I have mostly 2 inch but am starting to use 3 inch more and am slowly acquiring them. HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 4

I use the odd sizes as well and have yet to make a topsy turvy. They definitely do come in handy not only for the design/look you are going for but for serving sizes as well just as pp mentioned.

I only have the 2" ML pans (in a variety of sizes) but on the odd occasion that I have wanted a taller cake I have just collared my cake pans with parchment paper. If you do go with the even sizes only I'd add a 9" in there as 6/9/12 is a common size to make.
Also I wouldn't bother with the 2/3" pans either unless you plan on having tiers that are really tiny on top. I have the 2" & 3" size pans and have yet to use either of them. I have used the 4" for the top tier (you can see it on my winnie the pooh cake sizes were 4/7/10). If you ever wanted to make some minnie cakes then I would recommend cutting out the sizes you need from a larger cake as it will be a lot quicker than baking in the smaller pans, one by one (biscuit cutters are really good for cutting out smaller sizes).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%