A Big Order?

Decorating By Scrumptious Creations Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm by Caths_Cakes

Scrumptious Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrumptious Creations Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:20am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make the Trevi fountain or part of it for a cake. Any ideas how to tackle this? Anyone make a stone fountain before? Pictures? Thanks so much.

4 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:58am
post #2 of 5

Wow, that really IS a big, complicated order. It sounds like a LOT of fondant figure sculpting. There are so many intricate details! I'd be very intimidated personally, but I'm also a cake newbie.

I saw your pic of the snowman ice skating cake, so it looks like you have water under control thumbs_up.gif . The only thoughts I had were pretty basic ones: A huge cake board with rectangular cakes stacked pretty high for the building behind the fountain, thick dowels wrapped in fondant for the round pillars... Maybe some round cakes for the upper water platforms? Maybe? Although I'm no help whatsoever for how to stack them the way they seem to be laid out...

I wish I could help more, but I really have no experience with what it seems to need. So I'm giving you a bump! And maybe someone with the good bright ideas like Doug sees this, they can help.

Good luck! I'd love to see it come together! icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 5

Here's a pic for those who have never seen the Trevi IRL, or don't know what it is, in case someone comes up with a fantastic idea!

imarpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imarpet Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 5

mmm. big intimidating fountain! Gulp. I think shaing some cakes to look like the rocks that apear to be forming the fountain, and then wrapping them with fondant marbled or painted a stone color, would be pretty. If I did the buildings, I would definitely eliminate the statues! Maybe put something else representing the town or event: cute little signs, or a team mascot or SOMETHING! And I liked the others comment for the pillars. GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see the pics!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 5

WOW this looks scary job to undertake! i would say make the back part ( building ) the cake. And then have the fountain itself all sculptural work. just for decoration. i would of said this way you cut out a lot of structual issues if it was cake and can keep the building and fountain seperate piedes. gud luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%