What Would You Never Agree To Do Again On A Cake?

Decorating By Ruth0209 Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm by BCo

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 58

Every so often, I do a design element on a cake that, when I'm done, I say to myself, "I'm never gonna' do THAT again!"

I want to know what you'd never agree to do again because it was so much of a pain to get right. And, please, I don't want to start the conversation about naughty cakes. That's been discussed.

Here are mine.

1. Red, burgundy, or other dark colors of buttercream.
2. Burgundy ANYTHING! I'm sick of trying to get that color right.

I think it will be interesting to see what people list.

57 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 58

There's lots of things I won't do. I'm not a business, so it's really easy for me to say, "Nope, don't do that style."

I will not ever do a cake covered in little stars. I'm not putting stuffed animals or curling ribbon on a cake ever (again icon_biggrin.gif)...not because it's trouble but because of the look. I won't make an exact copy of a cake from a photo. And I don't do buttercream in the summer...and summer here is from about March to October.

The one thing I really won'd do because of how much trouble they are is mini cakes...like a slightly bigger petit four covered in rolled fondant. Just hate the things, no matter how cute they look.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 58

Oh ick, no dark colored buttercream, no not ever. Hmmmmm. I'm not sure. I think mostly, it's been a lot of "I'll never do THAT design for THAT low of a price ever again!"

Ruth0209 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oh ick, no dark colored buttercream, no not ever. Hmmmmm. I'm not sure. I think mostly, it's been a lot of "I'll never do THAT design for THAT low of a price ever again!"

Oh, yeah. I USUALLY say that. Good heavens, I should have charged more for THAT!!! I'm famous for underestimating how much time things take, but I'm learning.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 58

I am with _Jaime_ on that.

HOWEVER, I will never do a cupcake wedding cake again, birthdays - maybe - wedding cupcakes NEVER again......I don't care how much they want to pay me. (well, that won't be an issue because the only ones who want them are the ones looking for a cheap way out anyhow!) IMO.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 58

I have to agree with Loucinda, i am not a fan of cupcakes for weddings! way way way to much work (and at this point in time, its just me and no helpers). I woud way rather do a big cake then hundreds of cupcakes!

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 58

HOWEVER, I will never do a cupcake wedding cake again, birthdays - maybe - wedding cupcakes NEVER again......I don't care how much they want to pay me. (well, that won't be an issue because the only ones who want them are the ones looking for a cheap way out anyhow!) IMO.[/QUOTE]Uh oh, why won't you do a cupcake wedding again? Ive got my 1st one in 5 weeks. Any tips?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 58

I am NEVER doing another kit cake!

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 58

Sorry, that was meant to be a quote from Loucinda, but my question still is - why not?

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 58

I don't enjoy doing character-type cakes that are covered using the star tip. I like them when they are done (I've only done 2 or 3 ever, upon request). But boy does my wrist hurt! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 58

Every time I ice a cake in cream cheese icing, I swear I'm never doing it again. I think I'm sticking to it this time.

Ruth0209 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Every time I ice a cake in cream cheese icing, I swear I'm never doing it again. I think I'm sticking to it this time.

Oh, yeah. I refuse to do cream cheese icing, too. It always gets all schlumpy around the base of the cake. I'll only use it as filling.

I also patently refuse to do any cakes with a Barbie doll sticking out of the top. I'm sorry, I just think those are creepy.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 58

Oh, that's EASY. I am never doing this crazy Spiderman cage again! I almost turned into a homicidal maniac doing this flippin cake! And, to top it off, it was one of THREE DIFFERENT cakes for a triplet birthday! Good thing I adore this customer. icon_smile.gif
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 58

I won't do edible images of people. It creeps me out to know that someone is going to have a photo of their face hacked through when they cut it.

I won't do a belly cake or a sleeping baby cake. Same reason.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 58

I'll ice a cake with cream cheese icing...I just won't decorate it or make it look smooth icon_wink.gif

The only other thing I can think of is I will never make a cupcake cake again. They are too messy and too much of a PITA to transport. I otherwise have nothing personal against them.

EDIT: OMG I forgot about creepy baby shower cakes!! I won't do those either! Especially baby butt cakes!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 58

Pipe a bunch of grass on a 12x 18 double layer cake! My hand hurt so bad. All I could think was "why in the world did I agree to this?"

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #17 of 58

i know how that feels Tiffany29!! lol.

i'm not a business but there is one thing i wont do anymore after an experience with some one last year i have known for many years....

and that is to let them constantlly change their order including down to the last minute.. then want to work on it With me and take over--- then take the credit.... (the last part i didn't LET them, i found out after and promptly corrected things) from the very start i made it known it was a co-effort between that party and myself. i never took sole credit.. (let it go girl let it go.. lol)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

I'll ice a cake with cream cheese icing...I just won't decorate it or make it look smooth icon_wink.gif

Now THERE'S a good idea! thumbs_up.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #19 of 58

I will never take another cake order with out at least 48 hours notice! Too much stress!

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #20 of 58
Quote:

i dont have a problem frosting or using the viva method on the crusting cream cheese recipe.. just make sure you def use enough conf sugar. i love it and it tastes better than the other recipes i've used..

also to ceetee.. i have done the wedding cake cupcakes for my best friend and let me tell you.. she called me on a monday.. SHE NEEDED 250+ CUPCAKES BY THURSDAY NIGHT!!! i wanted to dis-own her and jump off a cliff!!! but i do LARGE orders of cupcakes and mini cupcakes all the time so it was just a time issue

but the one thing i think i'll never do again is a life-like portrait of someone.. famous or not.. too much comparison to the actual person and ppl can be brutal when its not 100% acurate... i mean c'mon its frosting.. not pastels and oil paints

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #21 of 58
Quote:

i dont have a problem frosting or using the viva method on the crusting cream cheese recipe.. just make sure you def use enough conf sugar. i love it and it tastes better than the other recipes i've used..

also to ceetee.. i have done the wedding cake cupcakes for my best friend and let me tell you.. she called me on a monday.. SHE NEEDED 250+ CUPCAKES BY THURSDAY NIGHT!!! i wanted to dis-own her and jump off a cliff!!! but i do LARGE orders of cupcakes and mini cupcakes all the time so it was just a time issue

but the one thing i think i'll never do again is a life-like portrait of someone.. famous or not.. too much comparison to the actual person and ppl can be brutal when its not 100% acurate... i mean c'mon its frosting.. not pastels and oil paints

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #22 of 58

i will never do another 4 tier topsy turvy again! it was and has been my only collapse. it still haunts me tho! i even know all the mistakes i made in the construction of it, and i could correct those and probably do it very successfully this time, but i'm not gonna!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Pipe a bunch of grass on a 12x 18 double layer cake! My hand hurt so bad. All I could think was "why in the world did I agree to this?"

Oh yeah, been there.

What I hate the most is having people tell me "I don't care what it looks like.. just have fun with it." How much fun am I supposed to have when I'm having a panic attack trying to figure out what they would like?

Ruth0209 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Oh yeah, been there.

What I hate the most is having people tell me "I don't care what it looks like.. just have fun with it." How much fun am I supposed to have when I'm having a panic attack trying to figure out what they would like?

I hate that, too. It's hard to please a customer when they don't have any idea what they want. Sometimes I wonder why they're even ordering and paying for a custom cake if they don't care what it looks like.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:26am
post #25 of 58

Fondant wedding cupcakes...never again. Buttercream, sure, but not fondant. UGH.

And, yeah, can't quite get my head around who would want to cut into a real baby looking cake or a stomach...doing a c-section? But then I can't get my head around cutting into a dog cake or animal cake of any sort that's realistic. Serious UGH.

And, yes, I know about the grass...soccer cake, lots of grass, can't even look at that cake now in my photos! Had to do it in four sections because my hand kept cramping up.

As for mini cakes...that just looks like a nightmare. I think that's gonna be part of my "why, I just don't do those" speech! LOL!

Cat

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:29am
post #26 of 58

DianeLM,

How DID you do that crazy Spiderman cage? icon_biggrin.gif

It's awesome!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:43am
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

DianeLM,

How DID you do that crazy Spiderman cage? icon_biggrin.gif

It's awesome!

I agree! And I want to know too! Ohhhhh am I glad that my friend didn't see your pic before she asked me to do her son's spidey cake. icon_wink.gif

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:53am
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

I will never take another cake order with out at least 48 hours notice! Too much stress!

Totally agree there...

I did that with my last cake and it was for family. .. AND I still haven't gotten paid. icon_sad.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:24am
post #29 of 58

i will never do a shaped pan cake .. just hate all those flippin stars LOL LOL icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:31am
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oh, yeah. I USUALLY say that. Good heavens, I should have charged more for THAT!!! I'm famous for underestimating how much time things take, but I'm learning.

Ditto - I just did a cake today for a co-worker for $30 bucks! Never again. There's another thread going at the moment about minimums, I just set mine!! Am now over my newbie pricing issue. You want what I got - you gonna pay for it baby! thumbs_up.gif Dark colours also erk me, esp black fondant, my funky tappits also drive me nuts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%