Fondant Taste/use

Decorating By Emma37 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 12:40am by emiyeric

Emma37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emma37 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 16

I do not like fondant...I think it tastes funny (at least the ones I have tasted) and I loathe to cover an entire cake in it.
Now I must admit----all of this may be fear talkin'. icon_redface.gif I really am new at cakes and am self teaching to boot.
Is there a good fondant? Are all fondants really bad? Do people work with them only for the benefit of amazing decoration?
I am willing to admit ignorance. Can you all help? Please.

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 16

which ones have you tried? Is it the actual taste or is it the texture you don't like? I ask because of my son's reaction. First time he tasted it, he made a face and said, "I don't like it." I asked, "What don't you like about it?" He finally figured out "It TASTES ok .... I just don't like the texture." But his first reaction was "I don't like it".

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 16

If the issue is flavor and not texture, give these brands a try: Choco-Pan or Fondarific. Choco-Pan is made from chocolate and does taste good and I've had very good success working with it. Fondarific comes in flavors from buttercream to various fruit flavors. Really delicious!

Jamiylah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamiylah Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 16

Have you tried MM fondant...Taste better and for my personnal opinion I like to work with it better.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 16

Agree - MMF is good, too! And I've had good luck working with it as well. The chocolate MMF is REALLY yummy!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 16

MMF (marshmallow fondant) can be flavored just about anyway you want, you make it yourself so it's cheaper too.

I'm guessing that your issue is a texture one. Unless you are actually tasting Wilton fondant, that stuff tastes like cardboard smells (IMHO). I completely understand the texture issue, my hubby and daughter have texture issues with their food.

I have only tried Satin Ice and it tasted fine to me, but I would prefer to make my own, based solely on price and easy of aquisition. And this is coming from someone that previously had zero luck with it. One day everything clicked with me and fondant.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 16

Same question, which have you tried?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 16

Personally, I like the taste and texture of Satin Ice. It's easy to work with and comes in a variety of colors.

Emma37 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #9 of 16

Ok, to be honest I have only tasted my own home-made. It's the shortening. I can't get past the greasy, icky feel of the shortening. When I make buttercream frosting I use real butter and some shortening....not so gross...but the fondant is so greasy so I add more and more conf. sugar..ook. All your posts have made me think though. It truly is because of what I 'think' about the fondant. I will try the others starting with the Satin Ice and then MMF. But I admit that I can feel my resistance. Maybe once I do it, fondant will 'click' for me too. I thank you all for your thoughts and useful advise. And I also ask...do clients ever dislike the fondant? I have never had anyone ask me specifically for a fondant covered/decorated cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #10 of 16

Try Chocopan and you will start loving fondant--seriously. I also think Fondx taste good and Chocolate Satin Ice. As for vanilla Satin Ice, it's ok.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #11 of 16

MMF does not have to be greasy, but I know where you are coming from, the first few times I made it I had that problem. I only use enough crisco to lightly coat the bowl I melt the marshmallows in and the bowl of my mixer, that's it. The rest of the liquid is flavoring and water, a total of maybe 3 tablespoons.

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 16

Chocolate mmf is great! Fondx tastes really good.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 16

If you are going to make your own, I would highly suggest Michele Foster's fondant (MFF). You don't add any shortening to it, just a couple tablespoons of butter. You can use a tiny amount while kneading it, but other than that, it's just sugar, gelatin, corn syrup and butter all melted together and mixed with powdered sugar. And it is delicious, really. It melts in your mouth, much better than Marshmallow fondant (in my opinion).

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 16

while I think homemade fondant is best, my problem is that it's never consistent, sometimes it rolls out nice, other times it doesn't. I've had some major issues at critical times with my homemade fondant that has made me decide to use Fondarific for covering cakes and MMF for accents.

Emma37 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you all so much for your answers and advise. I think I have learned something critical in my cake decorating experience. After posting here and reading sevral books on fondant decorating, I came to see that for me the attraction to cake decorating is the 'drawing' part. I have always liked drawing/coloring/writing. I have never enjoyed sculpting. It occured to me that much, yet not all, fondant use is likened to sculpting with the hands. So my conclusion is that I am a buttercream girl until something changes icon_smile.gif (Although I think the fondant cakes that you all make are absolutely incredible!!)

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

If you are going to make your own, I would highly suggest Michele Foster's fondant (MFF). You don't add any shortening to it, just a couple tablespoons of butter. You can use a tiny amount while kneading it, but other than that, it's just sugar, gelatin, corn syrup and butter all melted together and mixed with powdered sugar. And it is delicious, really. It melts in your mouth, much better than Marshmallow fondant (in my opinion).

Ditto! Michele Foster's ROCKS!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%