What Size Pan Should I Use For A Purse Cake W/1 Box Mix

Decorating By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm by Kitagrl

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a purse cake using my box mix...I am trying to figure out, what size pan should I use....9x9 cut in 3
or a larger...I dont want a mini cake but I am making 2 cakes one for her twin so this cake doesnt need to be huge at all
Thanks

5 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I used a 13 x 9 (I know, not a 1 box mix pan) and cut mine in 4 sections (each different widths) to get a tapered look from bottom to top on the ends.

If you use a 9 x 9, the best you can hope for is about 9" wide, 3" deep & 6" tall. That's a little on the small side, but it would work.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 6

I have a 13X9 pan....if I use 1 box will it work ,,,,,should I cut in 4 scetions also or 3 since its 1 box mix

is it better to make taller or wider???? Sorry I have been trying to find a good video of how to make but still searching.
thanks

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 6

I have made a purse cake using instructions similiar to the ones found in the Glamour Cakes book. You can download the book from this site for free. http://www.4shared.com/file/119214525/21f1ba14/Glamour_Cakes.html?s=1
If you don't want to download the book I could send the instructions to you if you would like. Good Luck.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 6

I tried to download the link but it wont let me for some reason.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

9x13 can even be cut into thirds to make a somewhat oblong purse...then carve down some. Make one of the thirds a bit larger for the base, then taper up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%