Fondant How To Color It A Dark Color

Decorating By moma2_3kids Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 2:57am by DakotaDesigns

moma2_3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moma2_3kids Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 17

I have tried for like two days now tring to color white fondant Navy blue like in the auburn tigers any helpful tip will much appreciated I am a newbie to fondant! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 17

It really has to do with the brand of color that you use. I love Americolor because the color is very strong.

mommyto6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto6 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:56am
post #3 of 17

I have the same question, I am a newbie, and I tried to make my white fondant RED last night with the gel color, and by the time I had kneaded it almost the whole jar was used, and I used that much crisco that my fondant was so wet and was ruined! UGHHH

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moma2_3kids

I have tried for like two days now tring to color white fondant Navy blue like in the auburn tigers any helpful tip will much appreciated I am a newbie to fondant! icon_smile.gif

I used americolor for my fondant royal blue check out my photos I only have the one

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 17

Airbrush it!

moma2_3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moma2_3kids Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you all I appreciate all the advice I have never heard of americolor before but will give it a try . Thanks again

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moma2_3kids

Thank you all I appreciate all the advice I have never heard of americolor before but will give it a try . Thanks again

anytime and welcome to CC, always feel free to ask and I get my americolor near home but you can get it online.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 17

I've tried Americolor and you will have to add a lot which will change the consistency of the fondant.

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I've tried Americolor and you will have to add a lot which will change the consistency of the fondant.

I never had that problem, I used the gel. My fondant which was wilton turned out great look at my photo, the fondant turned out fine and I didn't have to use a lot of gel.

Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 17

Tatorchip, the fondant I used was Satin Ice. In my experience, Wilton fondant is a lot firmer than Satin Ice.

Great cake btw!

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you Rylan, I never used Satin Ice, I hear that it taste good (wilton does not) can you tell me a little about it and how it handles and all TIA

Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 17

Well, I find that Satin Ice is a lot softer than Wilton. I'm not fond with the taste of Satin Ice. I like Chocopan and Fondx better, but I'm pleased with the consistency of Satin Ice although I prefer the firmness of Wilton. I think adding more gel color to a softer fondant will have a much dramatic change in consistency than adding gel color to a firm fondant--like you said, you didn't really see a huge difference in consistency.

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks for the info Rylan, I will try chocopan and Fondx but will have to order it thanks again

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 17

You can use Royal blue and black to get Navy blue. Or you can buy some pre-made black and paint some white
in royal blue and get tot the Navy blue.It will get really soft, no matter what. It needs so much color that it will get softer.
Sometimes I add a bit of cornstarch to stiffen it back or maybe gum tragacant, but you got to be careful cause it can dry it and make it a royal mess to work with.

I prefer to go with the pre-bought black and add the painted blue to avoid soft fondant.

As for Wilton..Im sorry..can't stand the taste
Edna icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #15 of 17

tonedna, I don't like the taste of wilton but that is the only one I have used so far but I am going to try others. BTW love your dvd, I watched it twice already and as soon as I have it in my head I will make the starlilly wish me luck

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

tonedna, I don't like the taste of wilton but that is the only one I have used so far but I am going to try others. BTW love your dvd, I watched it twice already and as soon as I have it in my head I will make the starlilly wish me luck

Im sure you will do great!..
About the fondant, once you have used a good tasting fondant you will understand why people dont like Wilton..lol
The difference is just so huge!!!

You better post photos of the flowers I wanna see them! Send me a message when you do!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #17 of 17

I've had very good luck with mixing your basic Wilton gel black and royal blue. I use homemade marshmallow fondant as I can't stand the taste of anything else. Same as with Edna, if it starts to get a little gooey I use cornstarch to knead it with. Otherwise I use crisco. The MMF is the only one I have been able to take from stark white to straight black.

Tool around and see what works best for you icon_lol.gif I've found that sometimes trial and error is the only way to figure some things out. Hope all of the suggestions from all of us can help you out a bit. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%