Homemade Caramel

Sugar Work By bakingmama18 Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm by zdebssweetsj

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #31 of 48

I actually made it by simmering in a saucepan on a low heat on my stove top. I had to stir constantly, but it was done in 16 minutes or so. When it cooled it was thick enough for a filling in a cake. I made one layer of the cake with the straight caramel, and one layer I combined the caramel with bettercreme and it made a delicious mousse consistency. Talk about good enough for a spoon! I also added some finely crushed pecans and a chocolate cake and I tell ya, it tasted like a turtle candy!

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #32 of 48

So I just tried the "suicide carmel" method! icon_smile.gif It didn't work...so, I'm thinking I did something wrong...help!?

I brought three cans to a boil (they were covered with at least an inch of water). Then I set the timer for 2 hours, took them out and set them on a towel to cool. When I took them out I could hear the liquid swooshing around in there...like it was still milk. I thought maybe it thickens as it cools, but I just opened it this morning and it's khaki colored condensed milk. WHAT?! Two hours - and still milk. Was I supposed to leave it in the pot and let the entire thing cool???

Thanks for the help!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #33 of 48

I usually did mine for a min of three hours sometimes closer to four. The longer you cook it the thicker it gets.

Did you cover them completely???

mrsmudrash Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:28pm
post #34 of 48

Yes, they were completely covered with water the whole time...and still milky after 2 hours. I think I'll just try nuking it like the directions from nestle said...much less time! icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm
post #35 of 48

It usually takes closer to 3 to 4 hours to get the caramel thicker. Try the pan method though and see if you like it better.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:08pm
post #36 of 48

I'm gonna do this and make peanut butter caramel cups. Oh yes.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:47pm
post #37 of 48

I boiled the cans make the best pie amd is good for dipping but havent tried on cake.but u have to let cans cool off..never had one to explode.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #38 of 48

When my children were at home one of their favorite desserts was banana caramel pie. So easy: Slice a banana over the bottom of a pre-baked pie crust. Smooth a can of the caramel over the top and refrigerate. Reading this thread is making my mouth water. I don't want to eat a whole pie by myself, so it looks like my neighbor is going to get a treat tonight!
(By the way, never had a can explode but I always get a little "antsy" when preparing it.)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

So I just tried the "suicide carmel" method! icon_smile.gif It didn't work...so, I'm thinking I did something wrong...help!?

I brought three cans to a boil (they were covered with at least an inch of water). Then I set the timer for 2 hours, took them out and set them on a towel to cool. When I took them out I could hear the liquid swooshing around in there...like it was still milk. I thought maybe it thickens as it cools, but I just opened it this morning and it's khaki colored condensed milk. WHAT?! Two hours - and still milk. Was I supposed to leave it in the pot and let the entire thing cool???

Thanks for the help!

Sweetened condensed milk doesn't sound liquid to begin with - it is already very thick, like honey or molasses, not a liquid so it cannot swoosh around. Did you use sweetened consdendsed milk or evaporated milk? They are not the same thing. This will not work with evaporated milk. Evaporated milk does sound liquid in the can because it is a liquid.

moscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moscakes5 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:26am
post #40 of 48

Hi everyone,

I followed the instructions in this thread and it came out so thick and lovely! I boiled mine for 3.5 hours and left in water to cool over night.
I don't think this is going to make it into the candy I planned on making.

mrsmudrash Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #41 of 48

First off...how do you quote someone else?! I tried pressing "quote" but it doesn't work!? icon_smile.gif

Also, I'm a silly silly girl because yes...I bought evaporated milk!!!!!! Not sweetened condensed milk - OH MY GOODNESS, I have no baking experience! I thought they were the same! icon_smile.gif What's funny is that I tried making regular caramel with the evaporated milk and it ended up with a over caramelized burnt mess!! SO, NO WONDER!!!!! Thanks prterrell for asking the basic question first! icon_smile.gif "Did I use the right ingredients?!" icon_smile.gif - AHH, no! icon_smile.gif

I'll try again! icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:30am
post #42 of 48

When you press quote inside the response of the person whom you want to quote, a new page should load that looks like the regular post reply page only with the quoted text already in place with proper html tags.

Yeah, evaporated milk is just that, milk that has had some of the water evaporated out of it. Sweetened condensed milk is like 1/2 way to dulce de leche already, they add a lot of sugar to the milk and then reduce (condense) it down to a paste like consistency. Don't worry, you're not the first to have made that mistake. All of my mom's recipes that call for one or the other have a notation beside the ingredient say NOT X. LOL.

mrsmudrash Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:40am
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

When you press quote inside the response of the person whom you want to quote, a new page should load that looks like the regular post reply page only with the quoted text already in place with proper html tags.

Yeah, evaporated milk is just that, milk that has had some of the water evaporated out of it. Sweetened condensed milk is like 1/2 way to dulce de leche already, they add a lot of sugar to the milk and then reduce (condense) it down to a paste like consistency. Don't worry, you're not the first to have made that mistake. All of my mom's recipes that call for one or the other have a notation beside the ingredient say NOT X. LOL.

Hahahaha! Figured it out the quote thing!! Thanks prterrell!! I think my prob has always been that I press post a reply and actually haven't noticed the "quote" thing on people's responses!

And, thanks again for making me feel better! icon_smile.gif I'm learning, little by little!! icon_smile.gif Those stupid mistakes though are just that...stupid! icon_smile.gif Hopefully they'll get fewer ad farther between!!

prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:44am
post #44 of 48

Hey, I figure the mistakes are the things that you'll NEVER forget. You'll never mix up evap milk and sweetened cond. milk again! icon_biggrin.gif Afterall, now you know, and knowing is half the battle. LOL sorry I'm getting punchy! time for sleep!

mrsmudrash Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:45am
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Hey, I figure the mistakes are the things that you'll NEVER forget. You'll never mix up evap milk and sweetened cond. milk again! icon_biggrin.gif Afterall, now you know, and knowing is half the battle. LOL sorry I'm getting punchy! time for sleep!

Amen Sister!!!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #46 of 48

Has anyone ever used this type of homemade caramel as a filling in cupcakes? I tried baking a cupcake with a caramel candy in the center but it didn't work. I'm sure the caramel melted in the heat of the oven, but after the cupcake cooled the caramel hardened back up. I thought about using caramel ice cream topping, but it's so thin and runny I'm not sure it would work as a filling. Just wondering how thick the caramel is with this method and if it might work as a cupcake filling. Thanks icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:28pm
post #47 of 48

Has anyone used this type of caramel to make icing with . I need to make a carmel cake with a Christmas theme would like to have a butter cream type consistency. Any suggestions?

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm
post #48 of 48

Decided to wing it used 16oz. cream cheese and 1 lb. butter with a can suicide caramel and 4lbs. p. sugar. Taste yummy can't wait to see how it will frost and decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%