Customer Tossed My Cake??!

Business By melhoneybee Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 10:20pm by JanH

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #61 of 97

Has there been a response from the customer yet??

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #62 of 97

2 points I'd like to comment on...

The customer(and this is my opinion here) did make the first move to attack when she sent the email 'informing' the OP of the hair. She was (again, my opinion here) implying that the hair came from the OP's side of the 'counter'.

The hair, even if the OP didn't have brown hair could've been a random hair from someone other than the OP...someone who may have ridden in the OP's vehicle...visited the OP's house/shop/whatever....a person driving down the highway with their window open , letting their hair blow in the breeze and one gets loose...(floating on the wind like the feather on Forrest Gump....waiting to land at the perfect place and time....). No one can say for sure where the hair came from. ..a hair can even make its' way into a closed box...stray hair lands on lid...works its' way to one side or the other...then, when the lid is opened, the hair that slid down that side falls nice and neat onto the cake...seriously, it could happen!

After giving it some thought, I think I would've emailed back asking when a convenient time would be to deliver the change from her order. Take a small cake along with the change. I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy it...
I wouldn't have offered her anything other than her change due. She didn't ask for anything. I wouldn't give the future opportunity to repeat with a discount.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #63 of 97

If she was grossed out enough to toss an entire cake she paid $100+ for with out serving a single slice, she like most customers I have had would be asking for compensation be it a refund, partial refund, or future discount on next order.

icon_lol.gif

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm
post #64 of 97

I just have to chime in regarding some of the responses. We can all put in our two cents regarding how we would have responded, or even how we think the OP should have responded, but we really should keep our postings civil and polite. In particular, Janette, your reply was very juvenile, and un-called for. You can certainly state your opinion, but doing so ina manner thet belittles others is more than unprofessional, it is just plain rude. Let's try to maintain the happy, family atmosphere that makes this site so special!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #65 of 97

I cant believe I'm posting a comment but...if I was the op I wouldnt update because she came here asking a group of her peers what she should do, after getting several similar responses she decides ok I'll do what others in my situation said to do...then AFTER she sends it all of the sudden there's a tidal wave of OMG you shouldnt have sent that. Berating her for her wording. Well she asked for "our" advice, "we" gave it, she follows it and "we" attack her. IMO telling her you shouldnt have after she already did it serves no purpose other than to make her feel bad. I hope it all works out.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #66 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Come on guys the e-mail was sent and I see no point in making the OP feel bad about it now by telling her it was "unprofessional".

She posted it at 2 a.m. this morning and didn't send it until 11:40 a.m. so she waited more then just an hour to send it and she did have quite a few members post during that time that didn't tell her NOT to send it.

We're all different and handle things differently....there isn't just 1 right way or in this case 1 correct response.

Good luck OP I hope this works out for you.

Edit to fix spelling/grammer icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #67 of 97

I do think it serves a purpose to tell her that one disagrees with her email to the customer, although I agree that it is a shame that it is after the fact, when chiming in before the fact would have served a greater purpose. You know, it is impossible to time responses on CC so that people suggesting one avenue can only get their post up in the same window as people who would have recommended a different avenue. Had I logged on earlier I would have been one of the ones screaming NO DON'T SEND THAT and might have tried to help reshape the wording to something more professional, out of the interest of helping a fellow caker. But I was too late, as were several others. Not that my input would have necessarily been chosen, but it would have hopefully been valuable as another option to consider.

I doubt most of us dissenters harbor any ill will or personal "criticism" against the OP for her email to the customer, but objectively speaking, the email was unprofessional. By voicing our opinion on the matter--even after the fact--we hope that we can help steer her from saying something like that again, and also it serves as a warning that she might anticipate a more hostile communication from the customer as a result.

Also, objecting to the wording can serve as a reminder to all of our fellow CCers that no matter how direct you might want to be and no matter how "right" you may KNOW you are, and no matter how many of your peers at CC may agree with you, diplomacy, tact and detachment will generally get you farther and demonstrate your professionalism far more than the approach used. Of course won't this all be a hoot if the email DID "work" and put the customer in her place?! icon_biggrin.gif I will admit that some customers themselves are impervious to professionally worded correspondence--I've surely read about enough of those around here. So who knows, maybe the attitude of the OP was just what the doctor ordered and perhaps worked after all. It still doesn't make it "professional" though.

You know sometimes we can whup each other on the side of the head when one of us does something dumb like undercharging for a cake or otherwise allowing a customer to walk all over them. It's not always meant to be nasty (I know it sometimes is, I've been here long enough to see THAT too icon_rolleyes.gif) but rather to be honest and direct. Again, some here even deliver honesty and directness with unnecessary cruelness, but I definitely don't think that ANYONE who simply said "That email was completely unprofessional" was being berating or mean.

But that is just MY 2¢!

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:21pm
post #68 of 97

Everyone has THEIR OPINION of what "professional" is. Some say it is "very unprofessional for any legit biz", well that is their own opinion as is the ones that said "send it".

Everyone will handle things differently with their business as with their life but there is no reason EVER to say hurtful things or be rude.

Just state your opinion in a civil and polite way and then move on. NO BASHING REQUIRED

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #69 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

Everyone has THEIR OPINION of what "professional" is. Some say it is "very unprofessional for any legit biz", well that is their own opinion as is the ones that said "send it".

Everyone will handle things differently with their business as with their life but there is no reason EVER to say hurtful things or be rude.

Just state your opinion in a civil and polite way and then move on. NO BASHING REQUIRED

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #70 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I would probably tell her,"Good thing my hair is red, so we both know it's not mine. I noticed your husband's hair is brown & he excepted the cake. How unfortunate you through the cake away as it was your husband's hair". Yup, play nice & sweet & dumb...since that's what she thinks you are. Trust me, she's gonna write you again. She's just waiting for you to say,"I'm so sorry. Let me give you a refund".

Very good response

you think?? this is an unacceptable response from a legit business...

Yes, I do think - I didn't know you wrote the book on how a ligit business should respond. Maybe I should have read it - not.

I think all this is uncalled for, let's be more mature with one another.
OP, any response yet???

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #71 of 97

I think we'd all like to know what the customer thought of that email but I wouldn't be surprised if the author of this post didn't update us. She's probably still licking her wounds! It's not easy putting it all out there but she did ask for input and here it was. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Anyways, I think a short look-over at the cake upon delivery and a signed form that states cake was delivered as promised and in good condition might prevent the buyers trying to get refunds for no reason??? Anyone doing this? I am sure going do it when I'm open for business.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #72 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Anyways, I think a short look-over at the cake upon delivery and a signed form that states cake was delivered as promised and in good condition might prevent the buyers trying to get refunds for no reason??? Anyone doing this? I am sure going do it when I'm open for business.

I don't get a signed form, there's usually nobody at the reception site who's willing to sign for something they had nothing to do with ordering. I take pictures of the cake after it's been set up, and in my contract I have noted that the pictures will show proof of delivery in good condition.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #73 of 97

[quote="costumeczar"]

Quote:

I don't get a signed form, there's usually nobody at the reception site who's willing to sign for something they had nothing to do with ordering. I take pictures of the cake after it's been set up, and in my contract I have noted that the pictures will show proof of delivery in good condition.

I agreee, the proof is in the pictures! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #74 of 97

Oh yes, pictures are essential! Especially those expensive wedding cakes.

I was thinking the form might be good for birthday cakes or home party-type cakes or when customers come to pick up a cake. Just like getting a signature when you pick up or get an item that you've ordered in the mail. Do you think it would work as a small measure of protection for us?

veronica720 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #75 of 97
Quote:

Oh yes, pictures are essential! Especially those expensive wedding cakes.

I was thinking the form might be good for birthday cakes or home party-type cakes or when customers come to pick up a cake. Just like getting a signature when you pick up or get an item that you've ordered in the mail. Do you think it would work as a small measure of protection for us?

This is great idea. You have sign when everything else is delivered saying it was received and in good condition. But in this instance that would not work. The customer is saying there was a problem within the cake, which you would not notice till it was cut.

There will always be those telling the truth (rare lately) and those trying to get something for nothing. With all the liars out there it can be so hard to tell who is telling the truth anymore.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #76 of 97

The OP is not responding, because she didn't care for the turn the thread took. She did offer her customer a 10% refund, which was refused, because of the LONG hair they found, after they cut the cake. For the record, the OP has short hair. SO, yeah, this was buyer's remorse. Everyone handles their business their way. We don't have to agree. And on that note, happy cakeing everyone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #77 of 97
Quote:

..... which was refused, because of the LONG hair they found, after they cut the cake. For the record, the OP has short hair.

Just as a side story, way back when, I worked in fast food in high school. A dining room customer returned his fries because there was a black hair laying on top of them. We gave him a new fry, but ......

I was working (long blonde hair); my best friend was working (long blonde hair); my sister was working (long red hair); a guy from our school was working (short blonde hair).

Customer? Had short black hair.

Things that make ya go "hmmmmmmm......!" icon_rolleyes.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #78 of 97

Your cake was darling and well worth the money!!!

I just got finished writing a check for $119.00 to a guy for cleaning my carpets. He was here for 45-55 minutes!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #79 of 97

There are two specific business blunders I have done because I didn't think before I spoke.

I told one bride to pull her head out of her asp (but used the real word that I won't type here) and to stop talking to and treating me like I was a toddler because if she wanted to do business in my shop that she wasn't going to be my boss and tell me what to do.

The second one was telling a customer they had their head so far up their asp that they needed a window installed in their belly if they had a chance of ever seeing the light of day again.

Both were in the middle of my shop, during business hours in front of other customers. I was beyond fed up with them, they were screaming at me and I remember a sense of calm coming over me and then my mouth opened up and words came out.

Was it unprofessional? Absolutely! Should I have done it? Nope.

So OP if you read this, and are questioning if you should have sent what you did worded...I've been there and share my story so you don't feel so alone with the "you shouldn't have done that".

I can bet you many others who have posted here can share a story or to where they've done something similar. We can laugh now but not when it was happening. You'll laugh too over this some day.

*hugs to you* Dealing with this side of business stinks.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:01pm
post #80 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amielyn

I just have to chime in regarding some of the responses. We can all put in our two cents regarding how we would have responded, or even how we think the OP should have responded, but we really should keep our postings civil and polite. In particular, Janette, your reply was very juvenile, and un-called for. You can certainly state your opinion, but doing so ina manner thet belittles others is more than unprofessional, it is just plain rude. Let's try to maintain the happy, family atmosphere that makes this site so special!

Ok, let's back up here for a minute. "I" did not attack anyone here. I had something nice to say about another members post. Someone else came out of the woodwork and came after "me". I read that post over and over and could not take it any other way.

You want to talk about being civil and polite? What do you call the person who attacked me? Did I say anything that justified that remark - no. My response was juvenile, I couldn't say what I really wanted to say. Uncalled for - I don't turn the other cheek.

"I" belittled someone? What was it you call that was done to me? I suggest before you throw my name around you have good reason.

Janette Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #81 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

..... which was refused, because of the LONG hair they found, after they cut the cake. For the record, the OP has short hair.

Just as a side story, way back when, I worked in fast food in high school. A dining room customer returned his fries because there was a black hair laying on top of them. We gave him a new fry, but ......

I was working (long blonde hair); my best friend was working (long blonde hair); my sister was working (long red hair); a guy from our school was working (short blonde hair).

Customer? Had short black hair.

Things that make ya go "hmmmmmmm......!" icon_rolleyes.gif

That was an old trick used back when I worked in a resturant. Usually it was after they ate most of it and was looking for a full refund.

veronica720 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #82 of 97
Quote:

Quote:

Ok, let's back up here for a minute. "I" did not attack anyone here. I had something nice to say about another members post. Someone else came out of the woodwork and came after "me". I read that post over and over and could not take it any other way.

You want to talk about being civil and polite? What do you call the person who attacked me? Did I say anything that justified that remark - no. My response was juvenile, I couldn't say what I really wanted to say. Uncalled for - I don't turn the other cheek.

"I" belittled someone? What was it you call that was done to me? I suggest before you throw my name around you have good reason.

AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THE OP ISN'T RESPONDING.

GET OVER YOURSELF AND MOVE ON PEOPLE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT IS BEING POSTED THEN GO TO ANOTHER THREAD!!!!!!!!!

I hope the OP got everything worked out. OP you should just ignore all the rudeness and childlike behavior and always do what you feel is best for you, screw everyone else. Blunt but true.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #83 of 97
Quote:

I think that you can also put "your two cents" in without having to single one person out in this whole thread. That my dear is JUVENILE. icon_smile.gif

Janette Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:21pm
post #84 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:

Quote:

I would probably tell her,"Good thing my hair is red, so we both know it's not mine. I noticed your husband's hair is brown & he excepted the cake. How unfortunate you through the cake away as it was your husband's hair". Yup, play nice & sweet & dumb...since that's what she thinks you are. Trust me, she's gonna write you again. She's just waiting for you to say,"I'm so sorry. Let me give you a refund".

Very good response

you think?? this is an unacceptable response from a legit business...

Looking at the above I wrote a positive post. Who is this person that can tell me "you think" and is not being told that was rude.

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #85 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Also, objecting to the wording can serve as a reminder to all of our fellow CCers that no matter how direct you might want to be and no matter how "right" you may KNOW you are, and no matter how many of your peers at CC may agree with you, diplomacy, tact and detachment will generally get you farther and demonstrate your professionalism far more than the approach used. Of course won't this all be a hoot if the email DID "work" and put the customer in her place?! icon_biggrin.gif I will admit that some customers themselves are impervious to professionally worded correspondence--I've surely read about enough of those around here. So who knows, maybe the attitude of the OP was just what the doctor ordered and perhaps worked after all. It still doesn't make it "professional" though.

I was very interested in this entire thread until I started reading what everyone has written in the responses in the last three pages. I have had similar situations and I think she handled it just fine. I'm very eager to here how it went with the customer but I certainly don't expect her to want to reply. Honestly, if you all think your not sounding cruel or mean, put yourself in her shoes, and re-read EVERYTHING here. Then tell me how you feel. I did such and ya know what, I got a lot of feelings of shame and embarrassment. Is this what we want to make our fellow cakers feel?

To the OP: I sincerely hope everything worked out well for you and your customer. If I were in your shoes I would have sent that email as well and stand behind it! thumbs_up.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:22pm
post #86 of 97

Melhoneybee,
I truly hope you are having a better day today than yesterday and have been able to put this behind you, either as a learning experience or a unsatisfied customer...imo you can't make everyone happy everyday and sorry but yesterday was your day to receive the backlash. I loved your cake, I also love the book and I thought you captured Max perfectly, I can't wait until the movie comes out.
All the best to you and keep your chin up, we have all been there and back again. Big hugs to you today!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #87 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynlovescake

There are two specific business blunders I have done because I didn't think before I spoke.

I told one bride to pull her head out of her asp (but used the real word that I won't type here) and to stop talking to and treating me like I was a toddler because if she wanted to do business in my shop that she wasn't going to be my boss and tell me what to do.

The second one was telling a customer they had their head so far up their asp that they needed a window installed in their belly if they had a chance of ever seeing the light of day again.

Both were in the middle of my shop, during business hours in front of other customers. I was beyond fed up with them, they were screaming at me and I remember a sense of calm coming over me and then my mouth opened up and words came out.

Was it unprofessional? Absolutely! Should I have done it? Nope.

So OP if you read this, and are questioning if you should have sent what you did worded...I've been there and share my story so you don't feel so alone with the "you shouldn't have done that".

I can bet you many others who have posted here can share a story or to where they've done something similar. We can laugh now but not when it was happening. You'll laugh too over this some day.

*hugs to you* Dealing with this side of business stinks.

I've seen much worse than that from business owners who I've worked for. Everybody has their limit.

But you reminded me of my MIL, who once, as a deputy sheriff, pulled a man over for "driving with his head up his a$$" and that's what she told him too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:53pm
post #88 of 97
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

...what about doing the whole "customer is always right"

I think the only people who honestly believe this anymore are the people who are trying to get a refund for some bogus reason.

I'm starting to agree with what I saw in another thread in the last couple of days: What the heck is going on? There's seems to be a lot of buyer's remorse syndrome going around!

I don't think that's buyers remorse thats predisposition!...I think some people plan for this!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #89 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

...what about doing the whole "customer is always right"

I think the only people who honestly believe this anymore are the people who are trying to get a refund for some bogus reason.

I'm starting to agree with what I saw in another thread in the last couple of days: What the heck is going on? There's seems to be a lot of buyer's remorse syndrome going around!

I don't think that's buyers remorse thats predisposition!...I think some people plan for this!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

You're right Edna and I think we all know someone like this.

We used to go out with a few couples from time to time and one of the husbands made a point of finding something wrong every single time we went.

Whether it be a "hair in his food" or "fish tasted off" or "dirty silverware" etc. He would ALWAYS try to get his meal taken off the bill. He would be so proud of himself when he succeeded.....it was so embarrassing to the rest of us.

It got so uncomfortable going out with them that we've distanced ourselves from them.

I've PM'd the OP and the e-mail she sent did NOT generate a bitter attack from her client. As LaBellflor said above, she offered the client 10% which was declined. So all turned out OK.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #90 of 97

Maybe this could explain what may have happened... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifImage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%