Product Review? What The Heck Is That?

Lounge By andrea7 Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:33am by mrs_smith

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #61 of 87

I couldn't download the cake picture with her complaints but I downloaded it my photos. It's named "crazy baby". Look for the ugly cake with peacock feathers.
Andrea

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:23pm
post #62 of 87

Poor you!! There's nothing wrong with that cake! It may not be my favorite of yours, but it's not ugly, your icing is perfect, AND you gave them exactly what they asked for. I think you are covered as long as you provided what was in the contract that they agreed to and signed. We are not machines! This is all artistic aspect (and in my case a lot of luck! LOL) and interpretation. I can't seen any judge looking at those pictures and making a judgment against you. There's no way to prove whether the cake was dry or moist, and with this girl stating how delicious your samples were, it proves that you can bake at the very least, delicious cakes! I think she's just fishing here.

The comment about so much of the cake being thrown away.....isn't that common with wedding cake, even if everyone is completely satisfied? I mean, they've eaten a big meal, drinking, dancing, socializing, etc. they aren't taking time to actually enjoy the cake. They may take a few bites because it's been cut and served, but I don't think it's uncommon for people to not finish the entire piece. I find it highly questionable that people actually took one bite and 'spit it out'.....I think she's using that as a scare tactic.

I've only done one wedding cake (my brother's) so I'm not speaking from the professional side of this, but rather the guest side. I've attended a lot of weddings and it seems that there is always a lot of cake left over for various reasons; i.e. the bride choose a much larger cake than was needed, or simply, the guests didn't know the cake was being cut. So often that's done after the DJ has begun playing music, the cake is often in a corner somewhere, and half the weddings I've been to I didn't realize either until AFTERWARD that I didn't catch the cake cutting and serving.

I think you still need to stand your ground with this bride, and if you gave them exactly what the contract stated there is no issue. They cut and served the cake, period. It may not have been to HER standards, but then she shouldn't have chosen you in the first place. The truth is, she chose you based on your previous cakes and your cake testing, and why would you provide her with anything different than what you do?! It's just not in your best interest! Tell her to take this as far as she wants to, and when she's finished with YOU, you will take HER back to court for harrassment and slander. You have 20 years of clients to back you up, she has ONE cake. Really, I don't think you have anything to worry about, other than the headache she's causing you. I'm sorry you're having to go through this....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #63 of 87

Agh! I am aghast at what she said!

<tons of bad words spilling out>

Pheck her!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Quote:

1. The scroll work design was sloppy, hugely inconsistent, and does not reflect the quality of work on display in your shop and in the portfolios we viewed.

I have photographic proof this is a lie.

Quote:
Quote:

2. The monogram design was sloppy, off centered, and does not reflect the quality of work on display in your shop and in the portfolios we viewed. I was actually embarrassed so I turned the monogram around to the back.

Again, photographs to prove this is a lie. Photo clearly shows monogram to be centered on the cake.

Quote:
Quote:

3. The rhinestone decoration between our initials is hardly noticeable. Furthermore, there is a blotch in the icing whe

You asked for "A" rhinestone, not the Hope Diamond. You received what you asked for - one rhinestone. Contract wins. You loose.

Quote:
Quote:

4. The scroll work design was to be on all sides of every tier of the cake, with the exception of the front middle (monogram side).

Contract states otherwise. You signed contract indicating it was correct. Contract wins. You loose.

Quote:
Quote:

We feel as though you did not attend to the details of our cake with the care you described during our initial cake tasting appointment. We looked forward to your cake because we were so impressed with how good the samples tasted and the creativity you displayed. The passion that you conveyed and sold us did not seem to extend to our wedding cake. We had every confidence in your skills and your company and eagerly anticipated the finished product only to be extremely disappointed with the end result.

Detail match contract specifications -- the specifications YOU gave and YOU agreed were correct. Contract wins. You loose.

Quote:
Quote:

Now when all is said and done, the most important factor when it comes to cake is how it tastes. We would be willing to overlook the blemishes if the taste of the cake made up for it. However, the most substantial disappointment was that the cake was dry and did not taste nearly as good as the samples! I was heartbroken to discover that most of the cake was thrown away because it tasted bad. Much to my dismay, the majority of my guests took one bite, spit the cake out and threw it in the trash!

1. Same recipe and same methods as tasting. Are you sure your ability to taste the fine quality of the cake was not hindered by consumption of other food or alcohol both of which can alter the ability to taste properly.
2. As for the guests reaction, we will be contacting the venue and it's staff for verification of this.

Quote:
Quote:

Butter and powdered sugar [icing] to hide a dry cake.
The cake did not match the elegance of the day and the wedding.
This cake is horrible.

You will have to supply sworn affidavits from the guests or produce them in person for me to interview to verify these claims.

Quote:
Quote:

Although I can never get this day back and consequently, you will never be able to fully rectify this, I am requesting a refund of all the money I paid to your company as a measure of remorse and goodwill.
Some comments made by my guests

reread your contract. No refunds. Cake was delivered. Cake was served. No evidence remains to substantiate your claims.

Contract wins. YOU LOOSE!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #65 of 87

icon_eek.gif The cake was dry? That's what she's gonna say after 2 weeks? icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh boy.....I don't know what to say....I have to think about this one!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #66 of 87

The design is not as lovely as your other work, but that was the bride's design, not yours. It was still very skillfully done. The bride is having a hard time with the fact that her design didn't look as nice in cake as it did in her head, and she knows saying ,"My idea was ugly," isn't going to get her a refund, that's why she is also saying the cake was dry.

My guess she was hoping to put you on the spot and try to get a refund out of you, that's why she wouldn't say what the issue she had with it was.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Quote:

Some comments made by my guests
Butter and powdered sugar [icing] to hide a dry cake.
The cake did not match the elegance of the day and the wedding.
This cake is horrible.

If that's actually true, she has some very rude friends and family.

But it's not true. People don't act that way at a wedding. "Hi Susie, congratulations, you look so beautiful! By the way, the cake does not match the elegance of your wedding. It's horrible."

Yeah, right.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:32am
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

The comment about so much of the cake being thrown away.....isn't that common with wedding cake, even if everyone is completely satisfied?

I would say yes, based on something a wedding planner friend of mine said. She was helping us with a very special wedding (all the wedding vendors pitched in to give a couple a free wedding on valentine's day weekend because groom was scheduled to ship out to Iraq in 72 hours.).

Anyway ... she came up to me and said, "If I had never had one of your cakes before, I'd KNOW how good it was because I have never seen cakes plates this empty at a wedding!"

I dont' share that to point out how good my cakes are, but to point out that this wedding planner, who handles very large weddings at very large and expensive venues, sees cake leftover so often that it's a big surprise to her when there ISN'T cake leftover.

Find out what time the cake was served .... right after dinner when most guests are still there (and somewhat full after dinner)? Or later in the eveing when most guests have left and are full of alcohol?)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #69 of 87

Definitely check with the venue before you reply to her. It could be that there were a lot fewer guests than there were cake servings, so that could be why cake was thrown out and/or left over. If it was that terrible the reception site will definitely remember it, and they can give you more insight onto what went on during the reception.

I had one girl email me to say that one tier of the cake was "inedible", which I knew wasn't true because I'd torted it while decorating, and it was fine. She said that a lot of cake was thrown away at the end of the night. Well, duh, she had about 80 guests and ordered 150 servings or something like that. Of course, the tier she was referring to was the bottom tier, which would have been the last one served, so if people ate the other ones then that would have been the leftover servings that nobody wanted because they'd already had cake.

I called the reception site and they said "there was nothing wrong with the cake, they just had way too much." Check with the witnesses to see what really happened.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #70 of 87

Doug, YOU ROCK!!! Perfectly said! And Debi, I know you weren't bragging; you don't need to do that, and you KNOW it girl!!

andrea7 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #71 of 87

The venue has a "planner" who basically hands out keys, that's it. She wasn't there. I don't know any of the other vendors used.

Thanks for all the imput. I'm going to respond, but i'm going to wait until at least next Monday, that should make her really mad.

People are a trip!

Andrea

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #72 of 87

Andrea - me thinks from your last post that you are now getting some entertainment value out of all this! icon_twisted.gif

First off - I could favourite just about your entire pic profile! Your previous work is as this bride rightly pointed out - very impressive. Her cake does not look like it belongs in that profile. I saw the pic on the home page this morning before reading this thread and I have to admit, my first impression was that the monogram and scroll work looked a bit off (eyebrows raised). Now that I know it was the bride's design, it's quite funny!

I agree with kellym - AS IF anyone with any level of decorum would walk up to the bride and tell her her cake blows! Especially given that I bet she told EVERYONE that she designed it herself before the wedding.

She has a piece of this "Dry horrible cake" in the freezer for you to taste right? At first I thought you should man up and face her, but now me thinks she is a cake herself - of the "FRUIT" variety! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #73 of 87

any updates?

andrea7 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm
post #74 of 87

She turned me into the BBB with the wrong address and phone number (what a ding dong). I responded to the BBB and have had no more contact. I did google the bride and found that she has sued two former employees for racial discrimination. I wasn't shocked.
Andrea

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm
post #75 of 87

i cant find the picture icon_sad.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

i cant find the picture icon_sad.gif

neither can I icon_sad.gif

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #77 of 87

Thats crazy....I looked at your pics..all the BBB has to do is look at ur work and they know you wouldnt send out a wellmade (albeit poorly designed bythe bride) cake.....what bollocks

andrea7 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #78 of 87

The picture was erased.

lthiele Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:23am
post #79 of 87

What's the BBB?

kjt Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:01pm
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

What's the BBB?

Better Business Bureau.

Obviously the bride has WAY too much free time, and is bordering on insane... tapedshut.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm
post #81 of 87

Boy, I am not going to be popular on this one but what the hay.
First of all, If any of my clients called and wanted to come by to discuss an issue, I would make the time to see them. I would NEVER tell a client that they have to communicate with me via email. I cannot stand that so much of our communications are done via email, voicemail and texting. I take a personal approach to my business and therefore I meet with people eye to eye be it for good or for bad reasons. I would like to know what your response would have been if she had wanted to come by to compliment your work. Would you have told her to email it to you? I think not.

As for her emails to you, I do not find them to be bitchy or condesending. I find them to be straight to the point. Unfortunately when woman is a straight talker they get labled as a bitch and this is a major peeve with me. I don't blame her for being upset that you would not meet with her.

I don't know why the photo was removed. I would love to see it. I do find your work to be very nice and I can see that you have a less is more style. Could it be that you were out of your comfort zone doing a cake that had more embelishment than you are comfortable with?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:12am
post #82 of 87

Just send her this link. That should shut her up.

BeeBoos, I understand how some people would feel the business owner should do all she can to rectify the situation, including meeting face to face, but the OP did tell the bride she was fully booked and had no time available to meet face to face with her. She can't be expected to cancel appointments with her other clients. I would feel pretty offended if my vendor canceled our appointment because she had to meet with another client. I made an appointment, why should I have to wait? I feel it's poor business practice to drop appointments with clients in order to meet with someone at the drop of a hat. The OP was booked two weeks out. Since the bride waited two weeks to complain, then she has to wait another two weeks to discuss in person. That's an entire month after the wedding. If the bride had called/emailed from her honeymoon, then I think the OP would have been a little more willing to meet her someplace when they got back. But she didn't, she waited two weeks. It couldn't have been that big of a deal if it could have waited two weeks.

lthiele Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:34am
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Just send her this link. That should shut her up.

You gotta love Judge Judy! icon_lol.gif I dont agree with ringing on your honeymoon though. I'm not hassling with someone while I'm trying to relax and have fun. But is there a CC member on here who can honestly say that EVERY single thing went perfectly on their wedding day? I had several issues with my ceremony and reception, but it's not what the day was about. Sometimes you've just got to take a deep breath, shut your mouth and be thankful for what you do have! JMHO.

andrea7 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:00am
post #84 of 87

Everyone handles a situation different. If there is a problem you need to call me immediately and get my attention. You don't wait two weeks and shoot me 8 emails with no complaint. They couldn't afford the honeymoon so she could have contacted me sooner.

I already know she has lied several times in correspondence and caught her in another lie with the BBB.

I also realize she didn't like the cake she chose but she didn't have the budget for the higher end fondant cakes (like she wanted). I cannot be responsible for this outcome. The cake was done EXACTLY liked she wanted. After I told her I looked at the contract and nothing was missing from the cake design, she went straight for it was a dry cake. With no cake to prove her claim.

My lawyer googled her and found ALOT of colorful stuff about her and we both agreed it was not in my best interest to meet someone with a criminal background and outstanding warrants. My personal safety comes first.

From now on if I have a feeling, forget it I'm walking away, no amount of money is worth it.

If she was a straight talker should would of just come out (like a woman) and told me what was wrong from the beginning.

I must say i'm pretty lucky though. 99.9% off my brides are so wonderful to work with and this has just been a learning lesson and I will move on.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea7

My lawyer googled her and found ALOT of colorful stuff about her .....

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

kjt Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:09am
post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea7

we both agreed it was not in my best interest to meet someone with a criminal background and outstanding warrants. My personal safety comes first.

I must say i'm pretty lucky though. 99.9% off my brides are so wonderful to work with and this has just been a learning lesson and I will move on.

Thank goodness you listened to your instincts and didn't meet with her, the heifer icon_mad.gif .

Kudos for your attitude and "moving on"! icon_smile.gif

mrs_smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrs_smith Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:33am
post #87 of 87

First - call the function venue. Just tell then that you are looking for feedback on the cake and some information if anyone can help to keep improving your cakes, and that they would be the best to help as they see so many (or something along the lines of that). Ask a. What was the feedback on the cake, from the venue staff and if they overheard anyone. b. Did any of the staff eat it and did they like it? (As someone who used to eat it when I worked at those places, as there was always leftovers, I've eaten so many so could give good feedback). c. What temperature did they store it at before the wedding started and did it keep it's shape (say sometime like that way you can adjust the icing quantities if there are problems on future cakes) and d. How long between cutting it did they serve it (say so you know if on future cakes you need to keep it more moist).

Why am I asking this? A and B counteracts the bad feedback that was in the email. C covers as if you used buttercream and the venue kept it in an un-airconditioned place that was hot, the buttercream can melt, distorting the cake, and D covers you if they cut the cake, left it sitting there for an hour and then served it of course it would get dry! And if you ask it in that manner, then they'll be more honest. Trust me.

Then usign that information, assuming C and D didn't happen (as it shouldn't - no professional place should do either) try to respond with something like:

Dear X:

RE: Email regarding cake feedback dated xx/xx/xx

I totally refute your defamitory and ludicrous allegations in your email dated xx/xx/xx regarding your feedback on the cake I supplied to you according to your contract.

I have photographic evidence that the monogram is not sloppy and off-centred, as shown in the attached photo <insert file name of photograph here>. For comparision, the monogram you requested to be copied is also attached in <insert file name of monogram here>. We believe this is enough evidence that with the limitations of the medium, the monogram has been accurately reproduced. I have also included photographs <insert filename of photograph with the area she's talking about here> and <insert one of the scroll work close up> also indicates that the "blotch" you alleged was in the icing did not exist after I set up the cake at the reception, and that the scroll work is consistent around the cake.

The rhinestone decoration on the cake was selected and positioned as according to the contract, which specified "<insert that part of the contract word for word here>". The larger monogram around it would take attention away from it, and if you had intended on it being noticeable, which is not in the contract, if you had discussed this with me I would have suggested another location.

The contract also specifies that the scroll work is to be around <insert part of the cake here>, which specified "<insert that part of the contract word for word here>".

I have also called the function venue for feedback on the cake, as they hold weddings every weekend at their venue and would be able to supply an unbiased opinion of the cake. The response from a staff member present on the night was that <insert something they said here to counteract what she said. Eg. the cake was above standard and high quality. Some staff members ate the leftover cake at the end of the function, which would have dried out more than when your guests consumed it, and they said that it was extremely tasty, not dry and awful.>

Therefore your allegations are defamitory as we have evidence of the contrary, and will take legal action if you pass on negative feedback of your product. I will not be providing a refund from the evidence I have given above. I have provided enough evidence to totally refute your defamitory and ludicrous feedback, and believe there is no reason to continue your quest for a refund. However, if your opinion is differing, you will need to take legal action.

From X.

You will need to edit this if the venue says they stored it in a warm environment or they cut it and left it for over an hour, which would dry it out. Which you cannot control as the cake was in their care.

PS. You will need to spell check this letter too icon_smile.gif I'm certainly not an editor icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%