Advice/ Criticism Please!

Decorating By scionmom Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 16

Alright fellow decorators, I am ready to be given some constructive criticism... haha. I made this cake yesterday for my neighbor. It was literally thrown together in 24 hours! I was really excited about doing an FBCT because I had never done one, but this... was so DRAINING! From a distance it looks decent but upclose you could see the lines in the BC and I was so frustrated. The detail was so small i couldnt seem to clean it up at all and time was running out. So, please have a look and give me any tips or just tell me it sucks so I dont think I am going crazy. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE THAT I HAVE RECEIVED AND WILL RECEIVE IN THE FUTURE!!!
LL
LL

15 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 16

I think it looks great.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 16

I have never done a FBCT but it looks great, good job

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 16

Had the bc crusted when you put on the FBCT?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 16

You can't tell from that picture that there is anything amiss with your FBCT. However, I do know what you describe and think that your bc was probably a little too stiff. You have to have a looser consistency so that it flows into your outline, not wet, but softer than usual. As well, if you "threw it together" (it does not look like a thrown together cake)in 24 hours, you probably didn't have the ideal amount of time to let it set to a very hard consistency. I know others say it can be done in a very short amount of time, but I find that if I do it in stages and allow them to harden in the freezer for a good bit, then I don't have issues with it wanting to thaw while I work on the next area. You have a lot of small fill-ins that make it a more difficult project.

Here's one I did that actually took three different evenings as I would get an area done then allow it to freeze really hard overnight so I could work the smaller areas without them wanting to thaw out and smear.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1292426

I am assuming you have this tutorial which is the best by far:

http://www.sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm

I think you are being hard on yourself.
We are our own worst critics.

thumbs_up.gif

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 16

scionmom I had the same problem yesterday with my FBCT it was only my 2nd one. I was lucky enough to be able to take my small angled spatula and once it had softened up a little was able to smooth away some of the lines. Its the Pooh cake in my photos, you can't really tell where I smoothed out.

Win thanks for that tip, will try that next time.

scionmom Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you so much!
Win... I love your cake it looks so amazing! I really just did the transfer yesterday mornig... took about 4 hours and let it freeze for aout 45 min and then added it. I had looked at that tutorial and I think what I did was not build up the differents colors that well. i had just put a thick layer on the whole thing once all the detail was done. I am anxious to try another but for right now... I dont even want to look at an icing back for a week!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 16

I think it looks amazing! There is so much detail!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 16

My Ten year old, came to the computer just as I opened up your cake and she said Phineas and Pherb cool cake.
I agree.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 16

My youngest daughter is a huge Phineas and Pherb fan and said she totally wants me to make "that" cake for her next. I think it looks great. We are always our own harshest critic. I think you did a fantastic job! Looks great!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #11 of 16

It looks just fine to me but what the heck- I've never tried it before icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif !!

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #12 of 16

HMMPH!

I thought I was going to be able to come in here and point our something wrong! Guess not...great job

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:42am
post #13 of 16

The cake looks nice!

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #14 of 16

I took a Wilton class years ago and I did my first cake with roses and I thought it looked awful, but our instructor said it looked good. She said that we are own worst critics and can point out everything we think is wrong, whereas most people will not notice it. It looks great.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 16

Your cake looks great! I hope when I do my first one it comes out as good. thumbs_up.gif

scionmom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you all so much for your reviews! I do think that we are our own worst critics... after all we are the ones that are there for all the mistakes and such.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%