12 Inch Chocolate Cake

Baking By sexysue Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm by vickymacd

sexysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexysue Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:26am
post #1 of 9

hi there i have a 12 inch round chocolate cake to do never done one that size before and cant seem to find a good recipe for chocolate cake that dosent contain buttermilk i cant find that stuff anywhere so would rather not use it,but want to use real chocolate if possible to add that real chocolate taste help!!

8 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:34am
post #2 of 9

I have read you can use a tsp of lemon juice to each cup of normal milk as a substitute for buttermilk.

sexysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexysue Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:38am
post #3 of 9

oh ok does the cake keep long with that in it as ganache dosent keep long in a cake was going to use that.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:50am
post #4 of 9

My usual recipe for chocolate mud cake has buttermilk in it... I've never used it - always just sub for regular milk!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:12am
post #5 of 9

One interesting thing about buttermilk too, is that you only have to buy it once (this is cultured buttermilk I am talking about). After that you reserve about 2 TBSP of the original buttermilk and add it to a litre of fresh full cream milk and leave it on the bench overnight. In the morning, place it in the fridge and voila - you have more buttermilk! Every time you use it, make sure you retain some as a culture for the next batch of buttermilk.

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:28am
post #6 of 9

I always make my own, 1 Tablespoon white vinegar OR Lemon Juice to 1 Cup Milk let sit for 5-10 minutes, ready to use in a recipe

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:16am
post #7 of 9

Are these homemade recipes good tasting? I mean, I'm not a buttermilk fan, so that tastes gross to me anyway, but does the lemon juice trick really work? Also, the 'leaving it out' response...is that safe?

Just curious cuz I've never heard of either of these. Thank you for sharing these ideas!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:39am
post #8 of 9

I have used the milk and vinegar trick like Gottaluvcake, and it works just fine.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 9

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%