Why Did Gelatin Melt When It Touched Mmf?

Decorating By kello Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm by Loucinda

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 7

I see people using gelatin all the time on their cakes. So why is it that when I put a gelatin piece on my MMF covered cake, that it start to melt almost immediately? It ran all down my cake and made a mess! It wasn't hot or even very warm in my house?
I won't be doing that again!

6 replies
Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 7

I'm curious to know the answer too!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 7

What kind of piece was it? How long had the piece been made? Was the MMF fresh or did it set before you added the gelatin piece? Was there any shortning on the MMF?

I put gelatin on buttercream cakes all the time and have never had a problem - I don't understand how MMF could melt it??

Diane told us that if we were unsure if it would hold on whatever cake we were making, to make a gumpaste plaque to set the gelatin piece on so it won't come into contact with the cake surface.

Sorry you had a problem with it. icon_sad.gif

kello Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 7

The gelatin was a thicker piece that I made the night before. The MMF was set and had been on the cake for at least 45mins to an hour before I put on the gelatin. I don't believe there was any shortening on the MMF either. I did a few other things and then when I turned the cake, I saw all this liquid running down my cake.....could it be because the gelatin was cold (out of the frig. for a few minutes) and it was like condensation happening? When I took the gelatin off, it wasn't wet to the touch. It was very strange!

Loucinda Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 7

IF you used the gelatin that you make into bows/butterflies etc. You CANNOT refrigerate it. The moisture in there will melt it - that is what the problem was. NEVER put the gelatin pieces in the frig or on a cold cake. Add them only after the cake is at room temp. ANY moisture (as in condensation from the cake coming to room temp) will melt the gelatin.

kello Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 7

yes, I used the Knox. Lesson learned! Thanks Loucinda! I have left in on the counter in the past, and any that was left over sat out and grew some fuzzys, so I was concerned about that overnight. I didn't even think, 'cause it was so late.
so thanks again.

Loucinda Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 7

The gelatin will grow things if it isn't dried into a sheet - (if it is left in the thick state in a bowl) Once it has dried into the thin sheets - it will be fine, won't grow anything yucky then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%