Quick Questions: Stacking 2-Tier Cake

Decorating By GarciaGM Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm by gagirl3

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys, I'm making a 2-tier cake of 2 6" layers and 2 9" layers. This will be my first stacked cake.

1. I plan to use straws to support my top tier, which I will put on a cardboard cake round before placing it on the bottom tier. Will several straws be enough to support the top tier?
2. Do I need to dowel a cake like this? If so, can I use bamboo skewers instead of cake dowels?
3. This will sound dumb but, won't the icing from the bottom layer peel off with the top layer when I take it off? How can I avoid this happening? Refrigerate the cake to let it set before I position the top tier? Should the cake board be wrapped in plastic wrap before I put it on the cake?

Thank you!!!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 7

The only time I've ever had a disaster, it was when I was using straws. I think regular, drinking straws are only okay if the cake doesn't have to travel at all. Bamboo skewers aren't the best either for support because they're so narrow. Sometimes I will use one for a center dowel on a small cake that already has plastic supports in the lower tier, but when the cake has to travel, nothing beats using a regular, sharpened dowel as a center dowel, and hollow plastic dowels as supports.

About covering the board, some people do and others don't. I use foamcore and I cover it with press and seal wrap.

And for the frosting coming off when you take off the top tier, it might help to let your buttercream crust really well before putting the top tier on. Some people use coconut between the frosting and board to prevent sticking, but that only works if the cake is for people who like coconut.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 7

People who use straws to support their cakes are NOT using regular drinking straws, they are using the much larger and much thicker-walled bubble tea straws.

To prevent the frosting from sticking, make cake crumbs with the bits of cake you have to trim off to level the layers. Sprinkle a think layer of those crumbs where the cake board will go.

I use waxed cake board circles and pre-foil covered cake drums for all my cakes. Saves time. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to fix typo. icon_redface.gif

gagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gagirl3 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 7

prterrell: are the big bubble tea straws the red ones that you can cut with scissors instead of the hard ones you have to saw? if so where can you buy them at? Thanks

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help guys! I ran out to Michael's and bought the hollow plastic dowels for supports. Worked like a charm! I also covered the bottom side of my top cake board with wax paper and "royal iced" it to the bottom, then I sprinkled the cake crumbs on for good measure. It didn't stick a bit!! Here's the finished product:
LL

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl3

prterrell: are the big bubble tea straws the red ones that you can cut with scissors instead of the hard ones you have to saw? if so where can you buy them at? Thanks

Bubble tea straws come in all sorts of colors (they're NOT the same as the slushie straws at gas-stations), but you can cut them with scissors. You can purchase them online and at Asian markets. I *think* they're also called "boba tea" straws.

The white hard plastic dowels that Wilton makes that are available in craft stores are not straws. I cut them using a serrated knife.

Personally, I use the plastic dowels or the SPS system.

gagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gagirl3 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 7

thank you so much, prterrell!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%