Gumpaste Vase

Decorating By Sylkladie Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm by Jeff_Arnett

Sylkladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylkladie Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:56am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know how to make a gumpaste vase or it there a tutorial out there, I want to make a vase out of gum paste for the top of my cake but cannot find any help out there

3 replies
CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:48am
post #2 of 4

Skylkladie, I'm not sure what shape you were after, but the 1st thought that came into my mind was something I'd seen in one of my books. "Pretty Party Cakes" by Peggy Porschen has instructions on how to make cylindrical 'treasure boxes' with bases & lids - perhaps you could adapt this to something a little more vase like? Unfortunately if our printer/scanner hadn't died a few weeks ago I would have scanned it & sent it to you. :{

I hope this helps a bit - so maybe see if you local library has a copy or purchase a copy for yourself (I initially borrowed a copy from the library myself & loved the ideas in it so much I ended up buying the book!)

Cheers!

Sylkladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylkladie Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:58am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Candy I appreciate your help, I will look into it and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylkladie

Does anyone know how to make a gumpaste vase or it there a tutorial out there, I want to make a vase out of gum paste for the top of my cake but cannot find any help out there

Rosemary Watson used to make beautiful vases for the tops of her cakes. She would mold wet sugar in a champagne flute, hollow out a space on top before the sugar dried, then allowed the form to dry completely, then she'd cover it with gum paste lace pieces. She would put a ball of green gumpaste in the top, stick the flowers in, and when it all dried it was very stable.

Here's a link to a pix of one of here cakes with a sugar vase:

http://www.belpasta-trattorina.com/images/cake4.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%