Taste Testing

Decorating By Lynn929 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm by jlynnw

Lynn929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn929 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I wanted to know how do you go about setting up a taste test for a wedding cake and what recipes do you use???? Thanks In Advance

3 replies
kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 4

When I did I just placed nice slices of the cake with icing and fillings. But, now I do not do tastings. Rather - I refer people to Customers. If I did a cake for Jane and June want a cake. I have her call Jane. Some people came for tastings and never bought. That way I do not have to crank on my oven. Works great too.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 4

I make a few different cakes, or offer what I have left over from other tastings. I just did one where I offered chocolate, vanilla, and key lime, and red velvet. I cut the cake into servings (1x2") and put it on a decorated board(with the cake undecorated). Then I had buttercream, lime curd filling, chocolate filling and pineapple filling. I brought these in little tupperware things, and put a spoonful of each on a plate. That way they could grab a piece of cke and mix it with whatever flavor they wanted. I also brought the mini water bottles to cleanse their palates between each piece.
* I would like to note that I don't have a store front, and this was for a huge client. So that is why I "brought" the stuff with me, to meet them at their office. I generally don't do that.

Good luck! I hope this helps some.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 4

We I worked at a store front bakery, we did tastings on a schedule. We had a set day, 3rd Sunday of the month, for them. We had the cake baked, cut in 1 x1 cubes, the fillings and icing in little portion control cups (like they pass out samples in) They were then able to try a piece of cake with the mix they liked. The small pieces were nice as so they did not waste cake. It is hard to see a full serving piece being thrown out. They also did customs tasting. The same idea except it was three cake selections, 3 fillings, and IMBC or heavy buttercream, on a china plate with small condiment dishes. Some brides prefered the intimate setting and cater to me while others liked the open tastings. It also depends on your staffing. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%