Have White Bc, Need To Turn It Into Choc. Bc Asap

Baking By Delynn Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 10:46am by JenniferMcDonald2

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 17

As the topic says, I have some white BC and want to know the best & quickest way to make it into choc BC for a last-minute order that I'm decorating today. icon_twisted.gif

Thanks Tons

16 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 17

Melt some chocolate and stir it in. You can even use choc chips if that's all you have. HTH! icon_smile.gif

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 17

What have you flavored it with? As long as it is something that will compliment the chocolate you could just add some cocoa powder. That would be quick! Maybe try a small amount first and give it a taste.

Delynn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 17

Lennette.... won't my pre-made white BC seize up the melted chocolate?

Kara... will it blend well?

Thanks ladies for the SUPERB QUICKNESS at responding! Truly appreciate it when time is of the essence!!! icon_biggrin.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 17

Has it the right consistency already? Then you need to melt some chocolate (don't overheat, you need to have it liquid only and let it cool down while still staying liquid) and pour it to your BC. Mix it into it, let it cool again and re-beat it. (The BC can separate if the chocolate is too hot.)
Should your BC be still too soft, add some cocoa powder to it - be careful, it make the BC stiffer than same amount of PS.

Lenette Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 17

I have never had it seize up. It may melt if the choc is too warm. I have used both powd sugar bc and SMBC and never had that problem.
Just be sure not to add it when the choc is too warm. You want it fluid and maybe just a tad cool to the touch.

icon_smile.gif

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 17

I would just add some dry hershey's cocoa, or add some cold hot fudge ice cream topping if you have any and mix it up. I've done both and they work just fine.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 17

Just note when I have add melted chocolate to mine, you have to work quick getting it on the cake and smooth. Because it does get more solid than if you use coco. Although I did a purse once that while I could not get it smoothed fast enough with paper towels, the streaks gave it a leather appearance. Worked out for the better.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 17

i always use melted chocolate.. famous cake lady told me that 14 years ago.. your chocolate is just warm when melted. i works great. then add a little more milk , water, or whatever you used to make b/c.. do it all the time..hth be sure to add this extra liquid..

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 17

It should blend well. I usually sift it into the BC you may have to add some milk or I have even added a little corn syrup. HTH!

Delynn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 17

I did a little experiment while waiting for these speed lightning responses to come in.

EXPERIMENT #1: I sifted a little cocoa powder into 2-3 Tbsp of white BC and it did seem to blend ok. I was expecting chocolate flecks. It still tasted like the white bc so I know I just need to add more cocoa.

EXPERIMENT #2: I melted 3 Wilton light cocoa candy melts on 40% power 30 sec. (didn't melt) + 15 sec. till it was melted but not loose. I quickly added it to approx. 3 Tbsp white BC and stirred quickly... it looked like it was going to work for the first 5-10 seconds, then little pieces of choc. appeared (choc. started to seize ? like I expected might happen).

Any clue? icon_redface.gif

Lenette Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 17

I am not sure what happened. I have never used candy melts. If the cocoa works better for you go with that.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 17

I just melt chocolate chips with a little bit of shortening and then blend it into my BC - I don't even let it cool, I'm not patient enough.

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 17

I use Hershey's chocolate syrup and cocoa powder! DELICIOUS!!!

Delynn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #15 of 17

OHHHHH! I totally would have used the choc. syrup. IF I would have double checked the fridge I would have found the bottle in the door. The bottle that I didn't think existed since we haven't used it in quite a LONNNNNNG time. Maybe it's just as well, it was dated Jan. 2009; don't know if that's a "Best By" date or Expiration date since it doesn't specify. Oh well, I used the dark choc. cocoa I had in the cupboard.

Either way, I TRULLLLLLY appreciate the FABULOUS AND GREAT fast responders. This site and it's caring members make life WONDERFUL!!!

THANKS TONS!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 17

again, you totally melt the chocolate disk.. before adding to b/c
you tested so little.. don,t know how you can tell .. how a big bowl of b/c would have done. i have done this ever since i have been baking and decorating. good luck....

JenniferMcDonald2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMcDonald2 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:46am
post #17 of 17

Have you ever tried the Nestle pre melted packets. That's all I use.. It works and tastes great. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%