Candy Barrel Cake Pricing

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 12:23am by tokazodo

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 40

Forgive me if this has already been talked about, but I can't find anything when I seach...

What all do you charge for candy barrel cakes? Do you charge a bit more since you are spending so much money on the candy (specifically the kit kats reg. size)?

Just curious to see....

Thanks!

39 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 40

I'm curious too........my son is going to make one for a school auction........seems they would be expensive to make..........I would imagine you'd have to charge your regular cake price plus the cost of candy plus maybe an additional 5-10 dollars for putting the candy on there?

karenm0712 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 40

That's exactly what I was thinking! It cost me $8 to get all of the candy and that was on sale! I asked b/c we have a cake raffle at work today and I made one and people were asking how much I would charge...I said $40, but some people said I should charge more (that was for an 8" cake w/two layers of cake and filling).

Anyone else?! icon_smile.gif

karenm0712 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 40

Well poo - no one else charge for these?

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 40

I made one as a gift, it was 8 in square with kit kats around side and almost 2 lbs mm on top. Cost me 27.00 just to make. So yes I would charge extra. Now they are not difficult to assemble, so I probably would only charge 35.00. But you wouldn't get more than that in the midwest.

karenm0712 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 40

So the cake raffel turned into orders - yay! I am making another candy barrel cake for tomorrow and charging $40 for it. So while I am spending more on the candy, I am saving time on the decorating part so it really all washes out. icon_smile.gif

Chocolate cake, chocolate fudge filling, chocolate bc, kit kats, & m&m's....way too much for me, but it sells! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 40

yum yum!!! ANd you know the two kit kats together will dictate the serving sizes won't they??

So, how many kit kats did you need??? Did you use a whole big bag of m&m's?? My son is making one for this coming weekend!

karenm0712 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 40

Yup! I watched a co-worker cut into the first candy barrel cake yesterday and the cut sections based on the two kit kats. That is still way too much for me, but everyone raved over it!

I ended up using 9 1/2 packs of kit kats and 1 bag of m&m's. I did go and get 2 more small bags of m&m's from the vending machine, but really didn't have to have them. icon_wink.gif

After lunch got an email requesting another one! These are a hit right now. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 40

I would charge $40 for a 2 layer 8 inch, if using a box cake, but for homemade I would charge $60. But I always get my candy at sale prices too, so I stock up on it. That is my price and I've made a few of these and they are always a huge hit!

Kbergmanjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbergmanjohnson Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 40

can someone please post a picture of the candy barrel cake?

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 40

I'd love to see a picture also. Are you unwrapping the candy???

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 40

I would have to say the $40-$60 sounds about right and given the fact that Halloween is right around the corner, the candy is priced right so hopefully you will make a bit of a profit icon_smile.gif

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #13 of 40

thumbs_up.gif I would say charge at least $40 ....sounds like a great cake. Pictures please? icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #15 of 40

Just an update that these candy barrel cakes are a HIT for me right now! The one cake that I donated to a raffel at work turned into 5 orders!

Right now I am still charging $40 each and think that is a good price for now. They are so quick to make and I can get all of the candy for $8 at Walmart for an 8" round. icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 40

does anyone know of a place to my the m&ms in single colours? they cost alot. the mixed bags of colours are ok and at valentines i try to stock up on the red and pink mixed bags. and now there are the halloween mixed bags. also what other types on candies have you used instead of m&ms and kitkats?

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 40

I made one before with pink M&M , party city has a larg selection in single colours

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #18 of 40

Michaels normally sells the individual color M&m's. you could use sprees, skittles, robins eggs at easter the possibilties are endless

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

does anyone know of a place to my the m&ms in single colours? they cost alot. the mixed bags of colours are ok and at valentines i try to stock up on the red and pink mixed bags. and now there are the halloween mixed bags. also what other types on candies have you used instead of m&ms and kitkats?

http://www.mymms.com/customprint/?src=112487&sc_cid=P_MD_P2_N00_MA90IN00PMDP2111

this is a link to the m&m website, where U can custom order any color, saying or even have a picture put on your m&m's.

I have also used reece pieces and peanut butter m&m's for a peanut butter barrel cake that I made for my friend who loves chocolate and peanut butter. U could also use for the sides instead of kit kats, Little Debbie peanut butter wafers. U might need to cut them depending on how many layers the cake is, but I find the are perfect for a 3 layer Barrel Cake. HTH

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #20 of 40

you can also do a "fall" barrel and use the candy corn and pumpkins. the Dollar Tree had a nice sized bag for $1. You can get a mix of both or a bag of either and the bags have Garfield on them. Saw them yesterday.

I've done the Kit-Kat barrels and I have also done individual (mini) barrels with the mini Kit-Kats and mini MMs. They were too cute for kids! icon_smile.gif

karenm0712 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 40

Micheal's and Party City have the individual colored bags of m&m's. I have also seen them at some grocery stores too.

I like the mini kit-kat, mini m&m candy barrel ideas! I just might have to do that for the kids in my neighboorhood that my kiddos play with!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

So the cake raffel turned into orders - yay! I am making another candy barrel cake for tomorrow and charging $40 for it. So while I am spending more on the candy, I am saving time on the decorating part so it really all washes out. icon_smile.gif

Chocolate cake, chocolate fudge filling, chocolate bc, kit kats, & m&m's....way too much for me, but it sells! icon_smile.gif

What size cake did you do? I was always curious as to how people priced them, too!

karenm0712 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #23 of 40

I baked a two layer 8" round cake and trimmed it down so that with the filling it would be just about 1/4 of an inch below the kit kats. It took 9.5 packs of kit kats (the regular size that you buy at the check-out) and 3 boxes of reeces pieces or a bag to a bag and a half of regular m&ms. I went to Wal-Mart to buy all of my candy and came out around $8. icon_smile.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #24 of 40

What a neat idea! I had not heard of a candy barrel cake!

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

I've done the Kit-Kat barrels and I have also done individual (mini) barrels with the mini Kit-Kats and mini MMs. They were too cute for kids! icon_smile.gif

What size pan did U use to make mini barrel cakes? I would like to do that for the Sunday School kids. TIA

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

http://www.mymms.com/customprint/?src=112487&sc_cid=P_MD_P2_N00_MA90IN00PMDP2111

this is a link to the m&m website, where U can custom order any color, saying or even have a picture put on your m&m's.
HTH

Yes - they are awesome! But expensive! But hey - if you're customer is willing to pay for them, go for it! icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Yes - they are awesome! But expensive! But hey - if you're customer is willing to pay for them, go for it! icon_biggrin.gif

I totally agree, but there are some brides that are willing to pay for them, Especially the new custom picture M&M's. My policy is, however that the bride or customer order them themselves and then bring them in for me to use on the cake or favors.

itsmunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmunk Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #28 of 40

I just made my first ever barrel cake, filled with Reese's Pieces, my co-workers LOVED it..what would you charge for an 8" double-layer barrel cake? Let me know what you think about my cake too. Thank you!
icon_smile.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:29pm
post #29 of 40

Welcome to CC itsmunk! icon_biggrin.gif

I would say that the prices mentioned in this post are princess.gif pretty accurate, you have to count the cost of the candy and then whatever your base price is according to cake size. Now is a good time to start keeping an eye on candy prices with Halloween fast approaching.

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #30 of 40

Does this kind of cake sound completely gross to anyone else? It looks beautiful, but all the sugar that this must contain really makes me kind of sick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%