Wedding Consultations

Business By sweetcreationsbiz Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 2:02am by __Jamie__

sweetcreationsbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbiz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering if anyone can shar e with me the major questions I should ask the bride and groom during a wedding consultation?

Any tips on how to professionally conduct one

Also I let them taste cake for free, 2 flavors.

But some of them get upset if i dont let them taste more.

What can I do if they want to taste more than the 2 free samples? Charge?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcreationsbiz

Part of my intro speech includes:

"Today we are sampling white, choc, and carrot cake. These are not theonly flavors we make but it's what we have today to sample, to see ifyou like my baking. My lemon cake tastes just as good as my white except it tastes like lemon."

I've never had anyone complain about not enough free cake. icon_confused.gif I view a sampling appt as a time when they see if they like my style of baking. I do NOT view it as a time when they get to sample everything on the menu so they can pick which one they want. (Try that a pizza hut ... yeah, THAT'LL work!)

When I first started doing appts, I'd have a white cake with white icing for them to sample. Period. That was it. No one complained. Got plenty of bookings from it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 12

Why don't you put something like this on your website.

At your tasting, you can expect to sample two flavors of cake. If you would like to sample more flavors, please let us know in advance as we charge an additional $5 ($10 whatever you want it to be) for each flavor.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 12

This is why I do tasting events. I'm not in the biz to crank out cakes to the masses, so I don't have to worry about "having" to have them every week.

Once every two months or so. Usually takes half the morning, 30 mins to 45 for 3 couples at a time. 5 or 6 cake flavors, and every filling/ frosting under the sun. No freezing necessary, no leftovers, no fielding requests to stop by every single Saturday. Pretty nice. And then I am relived of appointments and consultations for an entire month or more. Whew! All on line after that.

And if they have the nerve to suggest they need to taste MORE.....they can order a 6" round at regular price. icon_biggrin.gif

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #5 of 12

I like Jamie's idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.

indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Once every two months or so. Usually takes half the morning, 30 mins to 45 for 3 couples at a time.

How do you discuss each couples design, quantity, color, style, flavor, location, time, date, etc., in a group like that?

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcreationsbiz

Part of my intro speech includes:

"Today we are sampling white, choc, and carrot cake. These are not theonly flavors we make but it's what we have today to sample, to see ifyou like my baking. My lemon cake tastes just as good as my white except it tastes like lemon."

I've never had anyone complain about not enough free cake. icon_confused.gif I view a sampling appt as a time when they see if they like my style of baking. I do NOT view it as a time when they get to sample everything on the menu so they can pick which one they want. (Try that a pizza hut ... yeah, THAT'LL work!)

When I first started doing appts, I'd have a white cake with white icing for them to sample. Period. That was it. No one complained. Got plenty of bookings from it.

lol indydebi, pizza hut, that is funny, I think they would give me the look lol

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 12

I personally don't think I could do a "group" tasting / consulation. Do they all gather to taste and then get in line to place a specific order? I prefer one on one.

I ask about their dream cake and what makes it stand out. I ask them about their favorite flavors and if they are interested in "stepping outside of the box". Many, surprisingly are. Some of my best sellers, were flavors I never offered, but were requested by a bride. I am always willing to try something new. However, when scheduling a tasting I ask them to choose 2 or 3 flavors combos. No complaints, ever. Addition "sample" cakes can be purchased. 2 weeks notice is requested. Hope this helps.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Once every two months or so. Usually takes half the morning, 30 mins to 45 for 3 couples at a time.

How do you discuss each couples design, quantity, color, style, flavor, location, time, date, etc., in a group like that?

I don't. This isn't the time for that. This is for them to decide if they like my cake and baking style. After the tasting, it's all e-mail from there! Sometimes a couple will hang out after the tasting and we'll talk general stuff, but 90% of the time, it's all email. Works pretty good!

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #10 of 12

And, without fail, at least 2 of the couples love that they don't ever have to meet up again. One more thing they can do from their office, at home, even on the road from their Blackberries. Now, I never turn down a request for a consult, ever. But I rarely even meet with them anymore. I think a great portfolio, references, kudos and endorsements from past clients all proudly and neatly displayed on your website does a lot to instill confidence that they don't have to hem and haw and "hope" their cake designer knows what they're doing, and can handle it all from the computer.

indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #11 of 12
Quote:

After the tasting, it's all e-mail from there!

I like that part! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #12 of 12

Yep, me too. Really, they are so relieved to know that's one less thing they have to schedule. Take care of other stuff bride, I got ya' covered!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%