Tx Bakers....has Anyone Converted A Garage Into A Kitchen?

Business By k_dub Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm by 11cupcakes

k_dub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_dub Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

We have a detached 3rd car garage that I am thinking about converting into a baking area. It is just the size of a one car garage so it'll be tight but I think I can make it work.

My big question is - if you have done this in Texas...did you have to have a bathroom in the space. I've been reading the rules and I don't think I do...but I'm not sure.

I will be calling a health department as I get further into this but was hoping someone might know this one because I'll have to figure out what department will cover us. We are in an unincorporated part of a county and the country doesn't have a health department so my best guess is that I'd be inspected by the state.

I have found a place to bake legally, for now. But I calculte how much I'll be paying and it is "sad". I'm trying to determine my hard cost to convert and I think over 2 years I'd be in better shape with converting the garage.

4 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 5

You only have to have a bathroom in your facility if customers are staying and eating inside. As long as the kitchen has what your individual HD requires you are fine.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 5

I was told the same thing as above. I am in the process of doing this right now and don't have to have one, unless you have employees and walk in customers.

k_dub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_dub Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info!! I won't have any employees (except if I convince hubby to help do dishes....LOL) and definitely no walk in customers.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

I would suggest you to visit earlenescakes.com
she has alot of information you may need.She converted her garage into kitchen and into success.She is in Texas area and she is one of those people that will answer all your questions.I am not in the Texas area but I find a lot of helpfull information on her website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%