Ticked Off Need Ideas.

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 6

I was brought in to work making pastries at a care facility. The person they have could not keep up or produce what people wanted so I was hired in. I'm just there to help take a lot of the load off of her shoulders since she was struggling (I'm part time). She can't stand this and is threatened by me. She doesn't set any items I make out when I'm not there and doesn't rotate the desserts like they should be done. I threw away 4 sheet trays of desserts last week, all of them what I made.
I've been nice and have given her recipes and tips. When something is good that she does I make sure to give her all the praise when someone asks. However, she made a cheesecake last week that everyone said tasted and texture wise was like burnt rubber. She told everyone I made it. icon_surprised.gif No one believed her though since they've had my cheesecake before (thank goodness).

She told people she thinks I'm out for her job, which I'm not and she wants me gone. Fat chance. I just got a good raise and the residents would be ticked if I left. I was told I have glowing reviews from everyone in the facility and no negatives yet which is unheard of.

Anyways, the chef knows what's going on but won't say much to her because she's older and due to retire. She decided she won't be though.
She has bumped up her game and is now making desserts that are pretty good. I think this is great because it's better for the residents.

However, I decided after almost 4 months, 2 can play this game and I need some ideas to wow. Being nice is getting me no where with her.

I have 1/2 of a walk in freezer (no joke) stocked with cakes, cupcakes, quick breads, gluten free items, pies and choc. dipped bananas. I make cookies, truffles,cannolis, curd, creme bruele, pate choux with pastry cream, chocolate dipped items and such also. I've even done dessert crepes to order. I'm out of ideas.

So to make a long vent short, what would you make to impress?

whew...I feel a little better now. Thanks for hanging on and reading all this.

5 replies
GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 6

Wow, i hope you feel a little better getting that off your chest. I have been in a similar situation and it sucks. As long as management knows what is going on it will take care of itself. Is this "care facility" for older people ??? Just asking as, a lot of the "older" generations goodies have gone by the wayside. You may be busting your "A" when it could be as simple as an updated twist on pineapple upside down cake, or good ole' bread pudding LOL As far as your co-worker? i believe in KARMA!!

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

I've been in a similar situation before so I know how you feel. Have you looked at the gourmet flavors thread? There are lots of good cake flavor combinations and of course the conversation often goes to desserts other than cake-I'm sure you can get some great ideas from there. Good luck-hope things get better for you.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554&highlight=gourmet+flavor+flavour

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 6

It sounds like you deserve a round of applause! Most people wouldn't stick with that job! You just keep working hard. There's such a thing called, Karma. It's heading her way...

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

Can you ask the residents for help? Can you conduct a contest, asking them to enter their favorite desserts, from which you will pick a Dessert of the Week?
If you can't have a contest, maybe you can just ask for ideas.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry everyone, the thread was moved and I couldn't find it. I thought it magically disappeared. icon_lol.gif The Chef decided to have a menu for the dessert items that they can have. I think this is great, he said this will take care of the problems I'm having with my desserts not being set out. The dessert changes every day still. I do still get creative freedom though also. He will be asking my input and I get to choose what will be served for those who are diabetic and gluten free. (However, the same thing may happen with those.)

I haven't looked at the gourmet flavor thread in a while, that's a good idea.

Thank you all for listening to me rant and with the ideas. I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%