How Much Fondant 10" Square Gift Box

Decorating By LearningCurve Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm by LearningCurve

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 7

Sorry but I couldn't find the answer I needed for this and I need to get it ordered tonight.

I am making a 10" square gift box cake with closed lid. i have never used fondant for more than accents. But here is my plan. I am going to cut panels of white fondant (WF) for the sides of the box. I am then going to cover the top with a panel of chocolate fondant (CF) with CF coming down the sides some to look like it is finishing the top of the box. I am going to make a bow on the top with WF. I am trying to decide how much WF and CF to order.

I have attached a picture by LisaR64 that is what I am wanting it to look like minus the round cake. I hope this works!

Also do you think the panels on the sides will work ok?? Will they slide down?? Can I attach with just BC?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
LL

6 replies
LearningCurve Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #2 of 7

Is there anyone that could help me to know how much fondant to order for this cake?? I have to place the order within a hour and hope that someone will give me advice.

From what I have taken from other websites 2 lbs of each would be enough but with the bow and the sides of the top I am concerned that when I go to put it together I won't have enough. Since I don't do cakes very often fondant next to never I don't want to waste money ordering a binch extra if I don't need to.

Thanks again for any replies. Please Help!

LearningCurve Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 7

I went ahead and ordered 2 lbs of each type of fondant. I will still love to hear if anyone thinks that will be sufficiant. If not I will buy some wilton and do the bow out of that.

Also I would love some insight as to if you think doing the box by making panels for each side will work.

Thanks
Amanda

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 7

I usually follow these guidelines by Wilton:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-coverage-chart.cfm

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 7

Doing the box out of panels should work. That is one method in Sugarshacks "Boxes and Bows" DVD. You might want to add some Tylose to stiffen it up some. Have fun!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

Gorgeous cake!

LearningCurve Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you delisa for the website and opinion. I appreciate it.

Cylstrial~ I love this cake too. Since I don't need as many servings I won't be doing the round cake. I don't even need the 10" but I have that pan so it is better to do that than buy a smaller pan. If I had smaller pan I would probably do that with a small round but.....I don't icon_smile.gif-

The other thing I am changing is instead of the pattern on the sides I am going to buy a "B" stamp for the bride's new last name and stamp that on the box.

I am super nervous about this cake. I just want it to turn out nice for my SIL.

Thanks Again,
Amanda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%