Can You Refrigerate A Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By grammatlcl Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm by Tatati

grammatlcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammatlcl Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a wedding cake this weekend and we are having unseasonably hot weather (85 to 90 in San Diego) and I don't have a/c in my house. Can I put the finished cake in the refrigerator? I've heard you don't refrigerate fondant covered cakes. Please advise asap. Thank you

15 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 16

The short answer is: no, fondant will sweat and go very soggy if refrigerated.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 16

I have before, I used Fondx on the cake...refrigerated it, then when I took it out the next morning, I let it sit out about 30-45 minutes...so IDK what kind of fondant you are using...some people do, some dont...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 16

I've done it before. Didn't have any condensation form on the cake at all, but I run the air conditioner and a dehumidifer all the time to compensate for the hot humid weather here.

Are you using Indydebi's buttercream under your fondant? It holds up well to heat.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 16

it actually SPOILS the cake...i read that in a Debbie Brown book.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 16

I refrigerate all my fondant cakes with no problems. Some people do, some people don't.

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 16

I do it. The only times I've ever had problems is when it's either in there for a long time (like a week or more (I've only done that with left over cake)) it gets soggy and if it's covered, it develops condensation. I get more air bubbles under my fondant that I have to pop when it's refrigerated too. I've never had a complaint.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:28am
post #8 of 16

I do but not for more than 24-30 hours I would say. And it's like with everything else - it depends on how you have prepared the cake and what ingredients you are using. Some fondants you need to cover the side going towards the cake with oil or butter, brush lightly and make sure you cover all parts that are going to touch teh cake. This prevents any moisture inside the cake to bleed and ruin the fondant. Some brands doesnt need this - Ballinas for example. If you've covered the cake with BC you dont need to do anything since that works as a moisture stop.
Second - don't cover the cake when it's in the fridge and make sure you don't have too much condensation in your fridge.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 16

I always refridgerate my fondant covered cakes with no problem. It does condense when coming to room temperature but then it dries up fine. I use Satin Ice which specifically states can be refridgerated.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 16

I have refrigerated fondant too without a problem. I used Michelle Fosters Fondant in the recipe section.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 16

THere shouldn't be a real problem with refrigerating fondant. It does sweat sometimes when it comes out, especially if you put it immediately in a warm car for delivery. Let it come to room temperature before you do anything with it.

grammatlcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammatlcl Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #12 of 16

Thank you to everyone for your comments. The weather here is cooling so I might not have an issue. In any event, I know that I can try refrigeration in the future as the majority of people who responded said they don't have any trouble with it. I'm using the Wilton's fondant. Thanks again for all your input. gramma tlc

Tatati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tatati Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 16

I have some questions for the ones who refrigerate fondant-covered cakes...

When you say you refrigerate cakes... How do you do it? Just keep the cake in the fridge or you put the cake in a cardboard box and wrap the whole box in saran wrap before putting in the fridge? Or some way else?

Do you keep the cakes fully decorated (including fondant/gumpaste accents)?

If it's a very detailed cake (the ones that take several details to be finish), could you take the cake out of the fridge, work, then return to the fridge, then next day you take it out... work some more, put back in the fridge and so on?

How about timing? Let's say your cake is for Saturday 3 pm, what time you take the cake out of the fridge?

Which brand of fondant do you use? Or better, what brand(s) cannot be refrigerated.

Are there any colors that should not be refrigerated?

I mostly make birthday cakes and more often than not I don't have to deliver/set-up like weddings and big events. My biggest concern is when the clients want to pick the cake up the day before. I have nightmares about clients keeping cakes in the fridge... without the proper care they could ruin the cake before the party.

I appreciate any and all the help.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 16

yes, you can. I refrigerate every single cake I make, without exception, and almost all of them are all-fondant.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 16

You will get plenty of different answers. I always refrigerate my cakes and never had a single problem but do keep in mind that other people do get problems.

Tatati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tatati Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 16

Hello PinkZiab, thank you so much for your replay.

I am aware you can refrigerate the cakes, but I was wondering if I'd be able to get more specifics on how to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%