Non-Toxic Chalk

Decorating By caked4life Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm by caked4life

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

Has anyone ever used non-toxic chalk (the chalkboard type) to color their gumpaste flowers. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is an acceptable technique.

Thanks

6 replies
CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, I have used this. Works about as well as petal dusts, but much, much less expensive! You can also mix the chalk dusts with alcohol to make a more vibrant color.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 7

Many people do but as a "personal" preference, I don't like using it because it isn't manufactured and handled as if it was going on something edible.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 7

I do, and I love the way it works, but I only put it on gumpaste, which I tell people to not eat. It won't kill them, but it's pretty gross.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 7

I use it. Nontoxic artists chalk is a lot more vivid than chalkboard chalks and not too expensive...bought a box of 48 colors at Hobby Lobby for $5.

Before they started making all the expensive little jars of petal dust, books about making flowers said to use grated chalks, so it's not really such a weird thing to do.

You can use nontoxic markers (crayolas icon_biggrin.gif ) on dried gumpaste too.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 7

I have and was pleased

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%