Wanted To Share Another Set Of Cake Decorating Tutorials

Decorating By Rylan Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:47am by cocobean

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #1 of 16

I'm pretty sure some of you have already seen this but I'll post it for others to see.

http://www.ices.org/newsletter/articles.html

Not all of them have steps and picture guides but check out the victorian ribbon flowers and the moose.

Edited to add: Here is the first set by Satin Ice incase you missed my first post.

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/how.htm

15 replies
kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 16

Thanks Rylan!

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 16

Hadn't seen it. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing! Keep 'em coming!!

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:45am
post #4 of 16

No problem. Just incase some of the people missed my first post, here is the other link for the first set of tutorials by Satin Ice.

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/how.htm

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:26am
post #5 of 16

Thanks for posting this.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:17am
post #6 of 16

thanks rylan

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:03am
post #7 of 16

Thanks from me to!!! Sooo great!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks Rylan, I have been on that site many times and never looked at those! (and BTW - Kelly Lance is amazing at sculpting figures, I got to meet her at ICES, she is another real sweetheart! - very generous and sharing)

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 16

As a newbie I can't get enough of these tutorials..now if I only had time to try them all. Thanks Rylan.

cocobean Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 16

Rylan thanks again for the links. Last night I got a white cake recipe from the first link (http://www.ices.org/newsletter/articles html). The recipe was under, Dream of a Wedding Cake it's called White Velvet Butter Cake. Have you ever tried it? I am always looking for a great, from scratch, white cake recipe. Well, I tried it today and was having a hard time figuring out the eggs part of the recipe. Just wanted to run this by someone and see what they think. The recipe calls for 41/2 large eggs. It then says that weighs 4.75oz. or 135g. Well I have a digital scale and two large eggs weighs almost that four eggs weighs doubble that. Where do you think the problem with the amount of eggs they are calling for and the weight is. Do you think I am reading this right. Help anyone?

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 16

No problem ladies/gentlemen.

Loucinda, you are so lucky. I love her work. Amazing!

Cocobean, I haven't tried the recipe. I am really not sure how to solve that. Do you think the weight could possibly just for the eggwhites since that is all you are going to use? It doesn't mention the eggyolk right?

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 16

thanks Rylan, hadn't seen these before.

cocobean Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 16

...the recipe reads *Eggs should be at room temperature and separated. Ingredients Measure Weight Grams
4-1/2 eggs* 4 full liquid oz. 4.75 oz. 135 g.

... lower down on the recipe, in the mixing instructions it says, "divide egg mixture (?) into thirds. Gradually add to mixture, beating 20 seconds after each addition.

It doesn't say anything about just eggwhites. Or if the eggwhites are to be beaten (as sometimes they are).

Maybe that is where the problem is. Maybe it is suppose to be just egg whites?

But, the part that says, divide egg mixture into thirds,I'm not sure that just eggwhites would be called "egg mixture".

Anyway I just took out the cake that I made from it, where I actually put 4-1/2 eggs, and the bottom of the cake is pretty rubbery and the top edges are fluffy. The bottom would indicate that there was too much egg!

I don't know. I guess I was hoping for a great new recipe. Or at least hoping that someone had tried it and could tell me the problem. I guess I'll have to work on it again sometime (adjusting the eggs).

If anyone ever tries the recipe let me know what you think! Thanks!

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 16

I think you should only use eggwhites in my understanding. It does not mention the use of egg yolks.

Egg mixture = eggwhites, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla as stated in the first step. Combine and divide into thirds.

I think the problem was that you used the egg yolks and the process of making it.

Just the process of making it will change the overall outcome of the cake.

Let me know if it works if you decide to try it again.

Good luck.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 16

Some great ideas in these tutorials. Thank you!

cocobean Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:47am
post #16 of 16

Thanks Rylan, I think I will try again. I guess part of my confussion is where it says 4-1/2 large eggs but only mentions the whites (I see that now) in the mixing process. The recipe still seems confusing the way it is written.
So unlike me to get confused. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%