Best Chocolate Raspberry Combos?

Decorating By bethasd Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 4:11am by vmertsock

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a dense chocolate cake and need raspberry incorporated in the filling. What's your best suggestion? Can raspberry puree really be used as a filling? I can have 2-4 layers. Cake will be covered in fondant. Thanks!

6 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 7

I have used the raspberry puree for a filling before. But I did put down a thin layer of buttercream first to keep it from soaking into the layer of cake underneath it. HTH!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 7

I buy the sleeves of raspberry filling and it is really good. Not overly sweet and a nice thick consistency - very easy to spread.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the responses. I need MORE ideas. My friend doesn't want buttercream but I am making a fondant jersey cake and need something stable. How long could I leave a cake w/mousse filling out of the fridge? I was thinking maybe chocolate mousse w/fresh raspberries. What are your thoughts on incorporating ganache w/raspberry? And what's a raspberry sleeve & where do I buy that?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 7

My shortcut to raspberry filling is this: I take a small jar of SEEDLESS jam, nuke it for about a minute, and pour it into a bowl with a box of it's matching powdered jello. Put back in the frig overnight to set back up. It will NOT be gritty. The only 2 fillings I do this with is strawberry & raspberry. I keep the extra in the frig for ever...just like you would a jar of jam.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7

Take the raspberry puree, and thicken it with either gelatin, or corn starch. I prefer gelatin though.

Mike

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 7

I like smearing my cake with a thin thin layer of seedless raspberry jam then using a chocolate ganache filling. I'm not huge on chocolate-raspberry combo since it tends to taste too sweet and fake to me but this is a nice hint of raspberry and the ganache is very stable. Plus a chocolate/chocolate is wonderfully decadent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%