What Is The Best Tasting Usable Fondant?

Decorating By Cricketina Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm by Sugarflowers

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 27

Please help I am new to cake decorating...Wilton fondant tastes horrible

I just tried Satin ice and Choco Pan fondant at Cake Camp this week and I liked them both...but several people there said they prefer Pettinice ! and MMF is raved about a lot on here!!!

My Question is what is your favorite tasting and workable fondant in your experience and why? icon_confused.gif

Thank you all icon_cool.gif

26 replies
LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 27

For me Marshmallow fondant tastes the best, but it is definitely harder to work with than store bought...especially when you are making bows and figures. I hate making it also!

I know most people prefer Satin Ice, but I do like the taste of Pettinice slightly better. They are both awesome for making any kinds of bows or figures or decorations and they are easy to knead color into unlike MMF.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #3 of 27

I have always made my own fondant, using the Michelle Foster's recipe...I add Creme Bouquet to my fondant, along with almond, vanilla, and butter flavoring...it is really, really good!

I use it to cover cakes, as well as making roses, figures, etc. It works, and I get compliments on my creative cakes...plus referrals!

Try it...you cannot go wrong!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #4 of 27

I'm a Pettinice fan. I find it easier to work with than Satin Ice and the taste is pretty similar.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #5 of 27

pettinice over satin ice...don,t like mmf...

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #6 of 27

LUTIE...WITH ADDING 4 DIFFERENT FLAVORS, HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF EACH TO ADD WITHOUT CHANGING THE CONSISTENCY OF THE FONDANT? TIA

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #7 of 27

Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade fondant (in her dvd). I also like the taste of Chocopan. I also am starting to like Fondx because the guy who sells it is so cute! SUPER!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:49am
post #8 of 27

Homemade: MFF with white choco or plain
Storebought: Chocopan

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:07am
post #9 of 27

I have made Michele Foster's which tastes great, but after I had mine for a couple of days, I was unable to knead it, it became crumbly and I was wondering why,and what can I do to make it pliable again, The only store bought was Satin Ice, and ChocoPan, I like the Satin Ice, and My chocoPan got hard I had it stored for a while But they both tast great.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:39am
post #10 of 27

I prefer Michele Foster's Fondant. I have not had any trouble kneading it after storing it for varying lengths of time, as another poster said she experienced. Don't know why. I think it tastes better than Satin Ice, and it does not get that dried wrinkly look so easily.

The thing with Satin Ice is it is so marshmallow-y. Tear off a piece and leave it to dry, then eat it. It's like a stale marshmallow! Now don't get me wrong, I love marshmallows - just not on my cake!

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:12am
post #11 of 27

I like Satin Ice because I think it's easy to work with and it has a decent taste; however, I recently tried Fondarific's buttercream fondant and I really like the taste of it. It's a little harder to knead than Satin Ice, but after that it's great and it tastes like icing. I would recommend visiting their website. They have a lot of different flavors and you can get a sample pack from them.

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:34am
post #12 of 27

I like michele foster's fondant. I have use the mmf but i like michele's the best.

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 27

FONDX is my favorite, but I haven't made my own MMF yet either. Gotta try that. But FONDX tastes great and is so easy to work with. I use some Satin Ice, but I don't think it tastes as good.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 27

I am brand new at this, only have done two cakes (see pics) but I like Michelle Foster's recipe, it's so easy to make and easy to work with.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 27

for all the great advice you all are so helpful!! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 27

I also like Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade. The recipe is on her DVDs.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 27

I like Michelle Foster's fondant - it's easy to make, easy to work with and I can change the flavor as needed, but most of the time I use creme bouquest. It also freezes well for me - I have a batch in the freezer I made a few weeks ago well wrapped in plastic wrap and in tupperware, I have not had problems with thawing - I thaw it in the fridge before I unwrap it.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 27

I used a mixture of Wilton with either Satin Ice or the Michelle Foster fondant. I have made my 4th batch of Michelle Foster's fondant and love it, however, I have found using the glucose I get from the decorating store over corn syrup; hi-ratio shortening instead of butter; the commercial grade gelatine; and a clear vanilla from the island, gives me a delicious fondant. It does not dries out easily and days later has a very nice stretch.

Mixing a little Wilton fondant with the Michelle Foster fondant gives me a fondant similar to Fondarific (not sure of the spelling), which is very tasty and has a beautiful stretch as well as very sturdy. Unfortunately, it's a little expensive for me since I would have to get it shipped to me. I am even making my own colors. My most recent pocket book (the red Gucci purse) was made with the Michelle Foster Red and Wilton fondant. Then to pump up the color, I airbrushed with Super Red giving it a sheen.

Cheers!

NancyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyS Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #19 of 27

I like Satin Ice. I find it covers really well and is easy to work with.

I have yet to try Fondx. I have heard great reviews on it.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #20 of 27

Another fan of Michele Foster's fondant. I hadn't tried adding the Creme Bouquet to it yet - I have added some Lorann oils to it and they turned out delish and easy to work with.

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #21 of 27

Fondx is the bomb!! It has good taste and very easy to work with Satin Ice it's always my option B if Fondx is not avalable.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:01pm
post #22 of 27

I do imaging work and I like using the Fondarific for that. It seems to work really well with drabing the images as well as bending them.

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #23 of 27

First time I hear from them, chequing their website it seems like they offered different flavors. Have you tried any of them, beside the normal vanilla flavor? If so, which one do you like the best?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 27

I have tasted a bunch of them and Like all of them. It seems to give you more time before it starts drying as well

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #25 of 27

I've tried lemon, buttercream, and strawberry and they are all really good. I use the buttercream fondant on my sugar cookies and it tastes just like icing. I will say that the flavored ones to me is a little much to use on an entire cake, but they do taste good.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #26 of 27

I used to make MMF until I tried Michelle Foster's fondant. For me, Michelle Foster's fondant tastes better and is easier to work with.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I have made Michele Foster's which tastes great, but after I had mine for a couple of days, I was unable to knead it, it became crumbly and I was wondering why,and what can I do to make it pliable again, The only store bought was , and ChocoPan, I like the , and My chocoPan got hard I had it stored for a while But they both tast great.

It sounds like it has too much gelatin. It can be repaired by kneading in small amounts of glycerin. Take small junks of the fondant, knead in a few drops of glycerin at a time until this junk is of the right consistency, wrap it and set it aside. Continue this process with the rest of the fondant. After all of the fondant pieces have been "fixed", then knead them into one large piece. Always wrap it well, store it in an air tight container, and if you don't plan to use it in a week or so, freeze it.

HTH

Michele

BTW, Here is a link to a lot of information about my recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%