First Big Cake, Some Questions.

Decorating By MrsB10305 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 4:26am by leah_s

MrsB10305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsB10305 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #1 of 4

I have my first big cake coming up, it started out as a baby shower cake that will feed 30 people, I thought to myself that won't be bad. Then I received a call yesterday and the lady now needs it big enough to feed 80. She gave me a picture of an idea she likes/wanted (see attached). What size round pans should I use to get enough to serve 80? Also, how many layers of each tier should I have to get the right height? I am a little nervous as this will be my first paid cake. I've mostly made them for free for friends and family, but this lady called me for a paid job so I am really unsure what I should charge. We are suppose to meet this Friday and go over the final idea and price. Can someone give me an idea on how to price a cake?

Thank you for all of your help!
LL

3 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 4

A 12" gives you 40 servings and 14" gives you 63 servings. Each cake has 2 layers. I'm not sure on pricing depending on how much it cost you to make. If you make it with BC and fondat accents as in the pic I think you could charge $85 to $100 but this is just my thinking and I don't sell alot of cakes. A lot depends on where you live but you do want to cover your cost and time. Some charge $2 or $3 per serving.
This reply will bump up your message for help, so let see what other advice you will get. Everyone on here is great in helping out.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 4

There are different cake serving charts. The most popular is Wilton's chart. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

A 12" and an 8" would serve 80. Usually you want to use 2 layers that are 2" high each, to get each tier to a height of 4". Of course nobody is going to be standing there with a ruler measuring your cake, but if it was much shorter than 4" then the servings would be noticeably smaller.

I would suggest charging $2 a serving at least. Your ingredients and the boards and dowels and a box to put it in are probably going to run at least $40 and you need to make sure you charge something for your time as well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #4 of 4

Texas is right on with the serving chart. *Always* use the Wilton chart. It provides plenty of cake, and you make more $.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%